*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    WHHHHAAATTT!??!?!?!
    “Lutefisk” is dried cod that has been soaked in a lye solution for several days to rehydrate it. It is then boiled or baked and served with butter, salt, and pepper. Some people like it, but one rarely eats it more than once a year.

“Smalahove” is made from a sheep’s head. The skin and fleece of the head is torched, and the head is salted, sometimes smoked, and dried. This dish is normal in the western part of Norway.

raz8020, jclausius, Normimb and 2 others like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah, not all is tasty. Different traditions. All boil down to where you live in this country. For your info. When people fire up “Lutefisk” , it smells and taste like pure death:D I will pass.

raz8020, jclausius, Normimb and 2 others like this.
  3. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Many thanks for the link! I wasn't aware of this;) I will give it some reading to understand the situation better :D
    Thank you!

Papusan likes this.
  4. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe I'm late to this discussion, but these are my plans regarding my A51m R1 and opinions on the R2 controversy:

1. I honestly don't give a damn about the R2. The update is so minimal regarding the R1. Honestly, why do you want a 10 core CPU that you can barely cool and not undervolt? Probably i7 10700k is the best CPU option for the R2.
    2. Keyboard from the m17 on the A51m is ok. But must admit that the keyboard on the A51m R1 is something else (not like when they were releasing laptops with Cherry MX Browns, but probably the next best thing). Not gonna miss the macro keys because I seldom use them, and thanks to the awful implementation from AWCC (no macro keys setting and configuration savings? Come on!), this is barely useful.
    3. The DGFF card is a specific design to fit the A51m chassis, and new chassis designs will have new types of DGFF. I appreciate the DGFF more for the overall repairability and engineering aspect, not interested in wasting huge $$$$ for a little improvement over my current RTX 2080. RTX 3k would be interested, but ain't happening.
    4. My yellow A51m will be converted to Black eventually. Might take the chance to Jerry Rig a 120Hz 4k display or whatever.
    5. This will be my last DTR laptop. For my office work, thin and light laptops are finally getting there (ASUS G14 for example). My next gaming computer will be a desktop (I really miss wattercooling).

Vanya, jclausius, Normimb and 5 others like this.
  5. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good god man....hard pass!

Papusan likes this.
  6. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Have you tried contacting Eurocom? I'd imagine they did something similar for their 780W Brick.

It just didn't work when it only had one plug. With the split connector it works fine. May have one of these chips in there somewhere.

7. Always_Wipe

Always_Wipe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is the new BIOS they're pushing have the lovely undervolt lockout added?

Also LOL at the "makes aga compatible with newer cards". What cards are they talking about?

8. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yellow, o dear...words...tears...:p:p:p:p:p

on more serious note, I had my first hardlock today with my unit. I was charging a mouse and my wireless headphone and it just froze. I checked event viewer but all I could see was a kernal-pnp that there was external usb devices being charged and bla bla bla. I dunno, didnt really see any other errors. I just restarted it and all was good. Im praying to the alienware gods I have none problems with blue screens, freezing in game, hard locks in windows etc...I despise that crap the most. It has been rock steady except for this little nag.

9. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    ScreenShot00059.png
    No undervolting is still possible even with the latest BIOS but any BIOS after 1.5.0 has severe GPU throttling once the GPU hits 79C so I will use nothing other than BIOS 1.3.2 for first batch units like mine or 1.5.0 for newer models. There is no other way to enjoy this laptop to its max potential

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    DreDre, raz8020, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  10. Silentfan

Silentfan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Example setup:
    • 100W limit for 9900k (for most games enough, especially you undervolt the 9900k and you reduce the clock to 4,5 GHz (in my case 4,2 GHz for better temperatures with the silent fan-profile = a silent gaming notebook is very important for me)
    • approx. 150W limit (mostly 100-130W) for 2080 (approx. 0,8 - 0,85v with 1700-1800 MHz, with +500 MHz memory you dont have less perfomance - I mean fps in games - than 180W-delivery-setup). Use approx. 170w maximum (0,9v with approx. 1905 MHz or similar at good chips)
    • fixed fps (60, 120/141), no permanent full load on 2080
    (for 1700-1800 MHz at 0,8 - 0,85v or 1900 MHz at 0,9v you mustn't have a bad chip)

Conclusion:
    • consistent gaming = at all times the same fps in games (a matter of taste)
    • no permanent full load on cpu and gpu
    • mostly 130-250W with 9900k and 2080, maximum 270W for both
    • in peak periods still approx. 300W with all components
    • only one psu and one cable to plug in (means a lot to me... + silent setup as I said)
    • in the most situations still good performance (for gaming, not for benchmarking, rendering...)
    No, but thanks for the tip. But there is definitely a solution with only one cable. It works for one user in the german aw-forum. I am in exchange with him. I will test something else. I will post here if I have a final solution.

Edit: Solution here

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Lopt, Vanya, LoneSyndal and 2 others like this.