*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Just don't buy their desktops. They come with awful firmware as well. Most notebooks come with firmware with almost no options. But do the same on own desktops:no:

Duck W, raz8020, jc_denton and 3 others like this.
  2. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I considered it, but ultimately chose not too because I had heard they had terrible firmware. Plus, I'd rather build my own for the fun of it.

Going with a custom 3700x/2080S build, possibly 2080Ti if i find a decent price. Already purchased the 3700x, but all of the x570 boards are out of stock, so I'll need to wait a bit.

Duck W, jc_denton and Papusan like this.
  3. GTVEVO

GTVEVO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its sad to see things unfold, many of us tried to educate the reasons why you don't buy from a company that preys on deceiving customers. Alienware's practice continues to prove they don't care about their customers after they have your money.

ssj92, jclausius, TBoneSan and 6 others like this.
  4. SirAesir

SirAesir Newbie

Reputations:
    Detractors? Ok listen as someone that bought into the Area 51m idea I thought there would be a lot more support for it, instead of working to fix all of the R1 issues they just decided to release an R2 which to me looks like a money grab. We are still stuck with 2400mhz ram speeds, the bios updates continue to be terrible, thermal limits are terrible and we got downgraded to 180 TDP from 200 ( I know there are ways around some of these things but it is risky and can be a hassle). I think they should have taken more time listening to the early adopters and perfecting the R1 before coming out with an R2, it seems like every "update" they make limits the system even more. I can understand where a lot of them are coming from but I have never had the over the top feeling of ditching the brand over this, instead it just pisses me off and makes me wonder if these issues will ever be addressed. I love my R1 but there have been a lot of headaches, the keyboard on the R2 is atrocious and I like the styling of the R1 a bit more.

jclausius, TBoneSan, Duck W and 4 others like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    They recycled the M17's keyboard and throw it on the Area 51M R2. Completely removed 6 dedicated macro-keys that were located to the left of the main keyboard. Afterwards charged extra $500 for lower base specs and with less functionality. Less is more.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/gk4ub4/a_little_rant_on_the_newly_announced_area_51m_r2/
    Totally different design. Won't fit.

jclausius, Normimb, Duck W and 6 others like this.
  6. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Not baiting, but honestly, I can't think of any of them worth a damn at the moment. Maybe Clevo, but that's about it.

TBoneSan, Duck W, raz8020 and 3 others like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I think even that is debatable. They do have a higher count of redeeming qualities on one or two of the highest priced models, but everything they sell is compromised and crippled without @Prema to exorcise the firmware demons. At least that is still possible, so that is a huge plus.

Picking a laptop is like trying to decide which politician to vote for when all of them are untrustworthy evil scumbags. The really bad ones are easy to spot based on the obvious crap that leaves nothing to the imagination as to how utterly worthless they are. The trick is to identify which ones that seem semi-normal are the most evil and which are the lesser among evils. When you think you have it figured out you discover (too late) that he/she was the most talented lying sack of feces in the running, but a similar waste of human DNA as the rest of them.

Very similar dilemma trying to choose the best laptop when all of them are trash.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    jclausius, TBoneSan, Lopt and 11 others like this.
  8. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Not released on support page for my Area 51m.....updated to 1.10 Bios was there and updated....Had to hard reset turn off(button) as bios update just showed keyboard lights looping???

9. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To be fair, the CPU upgrades are not possible as they went with Intel which changed sockets (surprise!), plus the increased VRM requirements for the 10th gen (which is just another Skylake refresh). The Nvidia GPUs also bumped the power requirements so a 2080 Super wouldn't work on R1s.

The gains are relatively small on both so it's not a big loss, TBH. And having a separate CPU and GPU makes them cheaper to replace if they die in the long run.

There should be no reason for Ampere GPUs not working on R2's, though, and Intel said that they might keep the new socket for another gen or two so an R2 might fair better upgrade wise, but I'll be damned to buy a laptop with this CPU power hog that Intel so-called "10th" gen is.

The cooling and VRM they're putting here could power up some stronger Threadripper variant easy or run some Ryzen effortlessly at higher clock and lower noise.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  10. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The R2 will only be for the 10900K and the 2080 super. Ampere will be put in the R3 :)

DreDre and jc_denton like this.