*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Zer0K

Zer0K Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, the words of my Chinese friend were confirmed... All we can expect is the bios update that will break system even more... :mad:

Virale, Mr. Fox, raz8020 and 2 others like this.
  2. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The new R2 keyboard looks terrible compared to R1 , I’ve only heard praises for the R1 keyboard

any idea if we can swap R2 keyboard with R1 ?

3. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If he has a non-k processor like my processor it will not have one...

Just a quick honest update with my unit. I have had it about a week now, I dont think I have ever hurt so bad waiting for an item in my life. It only took a bit over 3 weeks, but those 3 weeks were painful, I guess I needed a good desktop replacement laptop pretty bad. Iv had so much BGA its rolling out of my ears. I added a 970 evo 1tb with my unit and after some quarrels getting the OS to transfer over, I finally figured it out. It was a long drawn out process, I hadn't done it in many years. I was actually surprised it worked. Of course everything seemed 10x more solid and the speed was 1000x the speed of that sshd. Taking the back panel of was a breeze, I have a plastic set for electronics, you can get them off of amazon which is useful as the back panel must be pried off on the end. There was a rattle like a lose piece in my unit, sounded like a screw, which after some minor shaking of the unit disappeared. I think it was a lose screw that ended up some where but it hasn't effected anything, I was angry at first but I let it go. I have a long warranty. Other then that minor hick up everything is solid on the machine, I have had none errors, freezes or locks. I am very pleased with the temps, I have tweaked it just a tad, scratch the surface type of stuff, I'm running in the high 60s on both GPU and CPU with a -140ml under-volt on the CPU and running the GPU at .980V using MSI curve editor. All is good there, I get the performance I'm looking for all the while staying in the 60s temp wise. There has been some very very minor artifact in BF5, my main game I play, seems to happen with the character models in multiplayer 64 player matches...Its only happened a few times in, well, 30 so hours Iv played it so far.

Im impressed, I can see why I felt like I needed a DTR so bad now. I needed more power for what I was doing. As I have stated before, I have turned off all updated on the machine as its just the way I want it. I would like to get some of the aDATA memory that is suppose to run faster but that can wait. Im starting out on Mount and Blade 2:Bannerlords which has been a riot so far. So first week of ownership of the Area-51m, I definitely give it an A. I hope it lasts as I always say, enjoying it alot!
    [​IMG]

Iv always propped up any laptop I have ever used for gaming, air flow is important from my experience as far as temps are concerned. These came off of amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LB4XGRG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2020
  4. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What did they do with the Keyboard on the R2?!?! and more importantly why?
    The Area51m has one of the best keyboards I've ever used in a laptop and even as a desktop keyboard. I don't understand why they changed it like that.

As for the CPU upgrades, I didn't expect to be able to move from Intel 9th gen to 10th gen properly. Even if the socket was to be the same, it was obvious to everyone there will be a new Z chipset. And from the past, we all know how backwards compatibility worked before. So, it was clear that a new chipset was required.

As for the GPU cards, I expect further down the line to be able to upgrade from an RTX to the RTX Super variant (for Real 5% improvements - if that even matters) but not at launch. I don't think they want to have stock problems and not being able to sell the R2 because R1 owners are ordering GPU cards. (Marketing/Product decision).
    Or maybe it is a true and geniune engineering decision and the new RTX Super cards can't fit/don't work in the R1, but I doubt it.

Nevertheless, the R1 is and will be a powerhouse for the next years as well both CPU and GPU wise.

pathfindercod likes this.
  5. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    It's up to the modding community now. Hopefully the modded vapor chamber heatsink will turn out good and helps to squeeze as much of RTX20x0 & 9th gen chips as possible.
    As I mentioned in the R2 thread, if they had been honest upfront about R1 upgradability, less people would have felt cheated.

LoneSyndal, Rei Fukai, DreDre and 4 others like this.
  6. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    how good sales of Area51m are compared to others ?if its poor then dont expect upgrade kits.

7. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

The real question IMO is WHO will buy it , …… Wake up Dell we are entering a world wide recession thanks to Covid 19.

As a recovering Apple fanboy of many decades, I am already used to everything I buy being obsolete the minute I hand over my CC, new models new features are always just around the corner.

My Area51m as long as its on BIOS 1.5.0 runs everything I want to run and does it well, that does not change just because a "Newer" model came out.

It will be a while before any games make any significant use of the new CPU's, game designers need to support as broad a base as possible to see a profit.

For me the R2 is a nothing burger.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  8. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Edit: false alarm, restarted and it is locked. Sorry!

Newest OC Controls released today brings back the Thermal Limit slider functionality without needing any read-only zip file antics... for those concerned (I never did the “fix” lol)... but glad to see that it was a bug (apparently)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  9. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The things you know!

Never heard of slui 4

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  10. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Released today? The last one I see is 1.2.61.1233 from 27March but says it was updated on the 12th of May