*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Probably gonna sell it around $1800 or $1900 Shipped. I don't need to make a fortune lol.

2. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I really hope alienware could at least explain why R2 GPU is not supported in R1 other than some BS not designed by the maker. What are the real issues? is it marketing gain? or some real engineering challenges? at least a closure for R1 owners. If it's due to engineering challenges, then at least it's somewhat understandable since R1 is the first iteration and they learned their mistake from it and improved things in R2 to better support future GPU upgrade (or non). Just a thought. hopefully alienware can provide some proper real answers to the community.

3. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

because rtx 2080 and rtx 2080 super are virtually identical , who is in the right mind would upgrade from rtx 2080 to rtx super ? If it’s rtx 3xxx that’s a different story and I’m sure they would provide a work around to sell these expensive cards

c69k likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    It's more about those who opted for 2060/2070 when they bought worlds most upgradeable laptop. They are now locked down with 2080 as option. If they could get the Super they would get 7-10% more performance out of the upgrade. More is normally better than less:)

5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I have a feeling RTX 2080S DGFF will work and fit in an R1. Only issue will be probably be the screw layout.

Me too

6. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    A $1000 dollar hit.... you guys must be doing pretty good out there.

7. S1ammin

S1ammin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OMG. Heard about the R2 release and thought I'd visit here again to see what's up. And dang, the same o'l detractors doing their very best to convince anyone that bought V1 to never buy another Alienware machine again.

Granted, there is not enough carrot dangling for me to go from my V1 to a V2, but some of the crazy statements over the past couple of days by these detractors are so radically based, that is is clear that their motivation is not to help anyone, and moreso to ensure that the Alienware brand cease to exist.

Meanwhile, I will continue to enjoy my rig, will pass on V2 since it is too incremental of an update for me, and await both AW and Intel to do something more compelling, like PCIE 4, or cooler running HEDT CPU with tweaking ability, etc.

I am not at all disappointed with V2, and if I were in the market for a new DTR and didn't already have V1, and the V2 was priced right, it would be on my radar, along with the V1.

That said, and if it is not obvious by now, Dell/AW is not listening to the detractors. I think they are listening more to their customers though. Dell cannot move the mountains built by Intel and their CPU socket musical chair, they can only roll with it as best they can, and I think they are doing just that.

Bye. waiting for V3 now because I love my V1. :)

Duck W, Normimb, MogRules and 3 others like this.
  8. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Well, I applaud you for being happy with the R1, I mean, I basically am. My only real complaint is the needless thermal limit and then a purposeful lack of support for at least the KS and 3000-series cards, those two are just in my book inexcusable. I think its a bit of a stretch to say they are listening to their customers....

I can't think of a single "detraction" that honestly isn't rooted in some deliberate decision by Dell contrary to consumer's satisfaction but serves theirs alone.

Rei Fukai, RMLJD, LoneSyndal and 2 others like this.
  9. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am fine with parts not being all too upgradeable...

What I am not fine with is the shoddy quality of the cooling for a DTR and the severe limitations placed on us for fiddling with BIOS and other settings to maximize our usage.

Thats why this will be my last enthusiast machine from AW probably until this practice changes. Until then, I may start looking more into Eluktronics and MSI for cheaper systems that at least don't lie to me about being disposable.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

10. clarity17

clarity17 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ill take this "future-proof" upgrade conversation in a different direction,

Seems as though the one proven route towards upgrading Laptop graphics cards is through using eGPU, but the two questions i have are:

1. Will the current Alienware graphics Amplifier be a capable enclosure to run the next RTX 3xx series? i understand that this one is a tough question to give accurate answer, as there is little info about the upcoming line-up through leaks, but brain storming and speculating will do

2.Will we ever see Alienware graphics Amplifier V2, as the current version is more than 5 years old, and their competitors in that market have been upgrading their enclosure line-ups