*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Mmmm..... So my top specced A-51m.... Is officially not upgradeable as stated categorically by Dell.... Hence can I get a refund or R2 for false advertising?In Australia we have this thing called the law that is backed up by the ACCC!

Biker Gremling, c0ach, Duck W and 5 others like this.
  2. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    People need to just give up the fantasy that the A51M R1 will ever support 2666....

3. uugui shi

uugui shi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    put the limit at 79 in AWCC and it works according to specification

4. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Im sure they’d get out of it somehow. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think dell promised upgrade ability to the next gen hardware. Probably what they meant is if you bought an RTX 2070 with a 8700 cpu at launch you could upgrade to an RTX 2080 and 9900K later. So technically that would count towards their “You can upgrade it” marketing.

You can give it a try if you want. Not saying it would work. But you’ll never know until you try.

DreDre likes this.
  5. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    That's what they meant, but of course they took full advantage of buyer beware. It was marketing nonsense at its best. That being said, if you had half a brain you should know you were going to be limited on CPU and memory options. GPU, there was some hope that a 3000-series card would come around, but when they clearly went arbitrarily and changed the screw holes, they gave the middle finger to all the A51M R1 owners.

They really should have just waited until the parts for the new socket was available, and held off a year.

Terreos likes this.
  6. Expje87

Expje87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm really curious now if the 3xxx series drop if the R2 will be upgradable.

7. Korben_Dallas

Korben_Dallas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wouldn't hope too much given how they managed the Area 51m R1 updates, most likely also for R2 there will be no updates beyond 10900K and RTX 2080 Super

DreDre, Virale and Terreos like this.
  8. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Oh I was preaching this day one. I fully expected it not to be upgrade ready for next gen stuff. But I liked the idea if my gpu went bad I could swap out for a new one. Or maybe get a lower end cpu and get a delidded high end one down the road. So it had possibilities. But this is a big middle finger to the R1 owners. But that’s just how dell rolls sadly. :oops:

But why wait a year when you can sell the beta tester version today?!o_O

uugui shi and Rei Fukai like this.
  9. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    If you have the quote about upgradability 'within same family', since this is true for 2080/2080S, its your best shot.

raz8020, Docsteel, Duck W and 4 others like this.
  10. clarity17

clarity17 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So the m17 r3 and m15 r3 have the exact same design of the previous version...gheez

meaning inverted motherboard..makes my choice to go with m17 r1 this last month that more sensible

Does alienware and Dell listen to their consumer base or are they completely deaf?

How do you continually push a design that limits supposed gamers from reducing temperatures and upgrading it's componentso_O

Was wondering whether i should have waited longer to get my hands on the new super line-up but after just 2 weeks of usage i was already running hot, and running out of rams, soon after i've upgraded my rams to 32gb and re-pasted yesterday, taking away these two features are a deal breaker for any self respecting gamer.