*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    DGFF is worse than BGA. If you actually want a proper replaceable GPU solution, Clevo is the only thing worth looking at. Look at this "cooling", it is just laughable. Give me BGA with proper cooling any day.

[​IMG]

c69k likes this.
  2. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    it's the Alienware AW3418DW

Rengsey R. H. Jr. and Docsteel like this.
  3. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Looks to me that the DGFF is BGA. What is wrong with the cooling?

4. sniffin

Reputations:
    It's BGA yes but on a daughterboard that can be replaced. Proprietary daughterboard though so -1 there. Every other DTR on the market has more than a sheet of whatever that is over memory/VRM. It's low effort and is worse than a BGA solution, so there is no advantage here over other laptops like the AMD Clevo that Papusan referred to that have a BGA solution.

DGFF is the tech equivalent of virtue signalling. Pretending to do the right thing but in effect doing nothing at all.

The AMD Clevo has awful idle power consumption but is still an interesting laptop. Very good price, top tier CPU performance, and a 2070 is still plenty especially in a 15". DGFF in Area 51M does not make the A51M better than the Clevo was my original point.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  5. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Seems like the 2070/2080 could not be done on the MXM. Kudos to Dell to try and create some sort of following in DGFF. I do not know if the Clevo solution bolts into other laptops but that is the growing pains when you lack industry standards.

I think the larger issue might be the lack of interest in computer gaming overall. People are more into using their phones and consoles vs. the past. Kind of hard to deal with shrinking market segment and also support the desires of everyone.

DGFF seems like not a bad attempt especially if you bought the absolute crap version of the Area51m. You can find a CPU or GPU in 6 years or so and have a half decent system. Not so great if you want to try and compete with the next Gen consoles.

My personal opinion is that people wanting the absolute cutting edge need to just wait for the next gen consoles or go desktop. Understand the limitation w gaming laptops. Thermal density is the bane of smaller transistor technology. We are up against physics these days, no free pass & "get out of jail" of bad coding or whatnot with new bins.

I'm taking an expensive one last swing at laptop gaming since it is nice to not have a ton of stuff sitting on the desk. Stupid, ignorant, waste of time, probably wrong but whatever it is my money. I haven't had a desktop since 2006 which was a dual processor monstrocity.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    RMLJD likes this.
  6. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Consoles - cutting edge? Lololololololol

DreDre and Virale like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I expect you asked for 3D benches and not benchmark software for Cpu.

Futuremark VRMark
    Futuremark 3DMark 11
    Futuremark 3DMark Suite
    Futuremark 3DMark Vantage
    Unigine Heaven Benchmark v4.0
    Unigine Superposition Benchmark
    Nothing is as bad as BGA. Castrated tech. DGFF could be so much better if Dell changed/replaced the power delivery. Aka put it where it should be.... Below the heatsink as MXM graphics and not under the flimsy shiny black passive cooled heat spreader. Failed design.
    [​IMG]

zdroj, jclausius, DreDre and 3 others like this.
  8. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Yes I laughed as well at that part.... desktop, yes, consoles.... _oof_... the point of laptops is instant usability, power and mobility... one cannot game on a phone for anything very sophisticated or powerful. I mean they are amazing for what they do, but to compare any of them to a 9900K+2070/2080 is a pure joke.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    pathfindercod and Virale like this.
  9. sniffin

Reputations:
    You'd prefer a bad design liable to fail over a solid BGA solution? Opinions truly are like... ;)

8C/16T Zen 2 with 12TF GPU is better than most laptops and desktops on the market today (all except the most high end). And costs not nearly as much.

Virale likes this.
  10. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Next Gen consoles.

Laugh now but the cloud computing is coming. Thin clients will be more powerful than a 9900k/2080

Same thing is in the works for consoles. Your phone/thin client console will be but a window into properly optimized datacenter solutions with just the pipeline in question.

RMLJD likes this.