*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The only time I got some good luck in my life

Enviado desde mi HTC One M9 mediante Tapatalk

Docsteel, Papusan and Fire Tiger like this.
  2. echterion

echterion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Too bad. :(

3. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, it's time to talk.

Some of you might know that I recently bricked my laptop trying to install the BIOS 1.3.2 . This prompted me to ask for assistance to Dell, which was promptly granted. A technician came home today and fixed my laptop... and oh boy there were things to repair.

Let's start with the motherboard. For some reason my laptop came with one that had tremendous coil whine. Like you could constantly hear it every time you moved the mouse. This was the most annoying thing ever since this laptop is extremely quiet when doing office work. Didn't thought in doing anything about it since I'm of the opinion of best known worse than unknown good. Well the brick has required a mobo swap, and the new one if far better, but still there is faint coil whine under certain situations.

Then there was the sound card. For some reason, after listening to something for a while, it started hissing. Not very noticeable, but annoying when on pause. Unfortunately the new sound card does the same thing, but the speakers sound FAR better (like what the hell difference). But for some reason, the speakers "pop" once in a while, more frequently on higher volumes. Don't know what to do about this. Regarding my headphones, guess I will start using a USB sound card.

But guess I saved the best for last. This one in dedication to @Papusan ... the palm rest (and deck area) started yellowing. Not very noticeable, but you could tell the most used areas. This was a huge disappointment since I mostly use the laptop docked, and avoided cleaning it often to avoid precisely this issue. Also, the infrequent gaming I do is using a Razer Tartarus Gaming pad, so my sweat from gaming didn't yellow it. Its just so hard to durability test paint before using it on your products? And still have problems after months of people reporting this? I easily could have had the entire chassis replaced, but the bottom and top covers are fine, and don't want to lose the flawless screen for whatever they have lying around.

Of course there is the technician. I wasn't at home while it was being repaired because I was at work. Due to COVID-19, they now use gloves and mask (thank god because otherwise all my internals would be covered in fingerprints). Found my laptop with the "Tron Light" not working, and for some reason only one RAM stick was being detected. Did a preliminary inspection and found one of the lid screws slightly loose. Also, when removing the "Ribcage" the guy used a "Non precision interchangeable tip screwdriver" and some holes are marred from just jamming the thing down to reach the screws. I just installed the good drives and memory, and plugging the loose "tron light" connector solved the issue, but since I have to do the repaste, I will go ahead and give a thorough check later on.

Overall, I'm not mad at the technician, his just doing his job and he has to finish the repair to go on the next one. He can't spend 5 hours doing the chassis swap properly, but it would be nice from Dell to offer the spares to the user that can do this.

Honestly don't know what to think about this laptop anymore. It sure is a looker and a performer, and the manufacturer service is very good. But is mind blogging that my $600 Flex 14 has fewer faults that something that costs $3000. Also, those constant performance cripples are just unacceptable, just to avoid a recall is it worth alienating (pun intended) your enthusiast customer base (i.e.the ones that get consulted by "normies" about what to buy)?

I don't see myself using this machine for months to come. Not fond of everyday thinking if I'm going to get an OTA crippling thing this day and then fight to keep using my laptop as I should.

4. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    to be honest it's not much different in FPS between the laptop panel and my Alienware 3440x1440 ultrawide.

with the monitor on 120hz, running no overclock on the 2080, gpu thermal limit set to 76, AWCC at 5.0 on the CPU and a -100 offset i get...

-in Doom Eternal i have it locked to 120 fps and it pretty much stays there with all settings on ultra nightmare.
    -in Control on ultra with most ray tracing settings on high its like 94 fps if i remember right.
    - in Metro Exodus with ray tracing and ultra i was getting over 90.

Control and Metro were both played before DLSS 2.0 was released. so it should be even better now.

honestly i don't really bring up the FPS counter that often, if it runs great i don't really worry about it.

MogRules and Fire Tiger like this.
  5. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    @Jontoad , is the screen you have supplied by Alienware ?

6. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    There is a Clevo/Sager with a 3900. That’s the highest I saw so far. I know they have a 17” machine coming. Not sure what cpu is gonna be in there. I’m guessing an Intel Cpu. ‍♂️
    https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP7958F1.html

lestat2k7 likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    This yellowish mess will be awful to handle once the warranty expire. We are at the time now that many run out of the obligatory warranty.
    Can be upgraded with 3950 but it run all too hot to take advantage from it. + AMD chips can only be paired with max up to 2070 Super cards.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  8. lestat2k7

lestat2k7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's pretty good, but isn't there also a 3950x laptop? Or do you mean without power crippling?

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Same machine. 100C and BGA graphics.
    https://www.xmg.gg/en/xmg-apex-15

10. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    I’ve only seen the 2070 paired. Not the 2070 Super. Unless the sager page is just mistaken? Only having a 2070 is a bummer in my eyes. But it is priced extremely cheaply for the specs.

lestat2k7 likes this.