*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    mine is one of the first shipped out in February of last year, it's still going and i still love it. no performance issues at all.

i do have 1 issue that bugs me and one other small issue but they don't affect performance. my keyboard lighting has been slightly buggy ever since the last 2 command center updates and full removal and re installs of AWCC won't fix the issue so i have learned to live with it for now. 2 updates ago my keyboard would default to factory blue after waking up from sleep until i opened AWCC and clicked on any random tab then it would go back to my normal red theme. then after this last AWCC update it wakes up red except for the h key which is purple until i open AWCC and click on any random tab. i just said F it for now and just made the home row keys all purple and kept the rest red so it doesn't look stupid. hopefully the next AWCC update will fix it. the other issue is windows fails to update from 1809 to 1909, but i don't really care about that.

pathfindercod likes this.
  2. c0ach

c0ach Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. Always_Wipe

Always_Wipe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Fire Tiger and c0ach like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You can run Windows 7 on NVMe without RAID using AHCI. I've been doing so since NVMe SSDs first appeared, around 2015. You simply add the required support to the ISO and viola... good to go. Same for USB 3.0.

Long Cut: [Guide] Installing Windows 7 on an NVME SSD (from a USB 3.0 thumbdrive) | Notebook Review Forum
    (Use this method if you want to feed your inner geek...)

Short Cut: Use ASUS EZ Installer (Download from ASUS or Mr. Fox's Google Drive) - works with any Windows 7 ISO, and doesn't need to be used on an ASUS product.
    (Use this method when your inner geek says, ain't nobody got time for that...)

ASUS EZ Installer Setup Guide (PDF) - See "Method 3: Using ASUS EZ Installer" on page 3.
    Use the ASUS EZ Installer to create a modified Windows® 7 installation source.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    xMAXIMUSx, raz8020, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  5. c0ach

Reputations:
    Exactly. Raid On is not demanded in any way apart from RAID 0/1/5 situations.

Can you send us a link? Did it work for you?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2020
  6. Always_Wipe

Always_Wipe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yup, works awesome for me tbh. Use the link in this guy's video and its a tutorial on installation:

Lopt and c0ach like this.
  7. c0ach

Reputations:
    I will try Synaptics and get back!

Fire Tiger likes this.
  8. InfectedSonic

InfectedSonic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i have no issues at all and i have everything installed minus the dell and alienware support trash. i dont think its the tobii as i have that installed and use it quite regularly for the auto dimming feature

c0ach likes this.
  9. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I came to recommend this, I rarely use my touchpad but its far better since installing Synaptic drivers.

c0ach likes this.
  10. c0ach

Reputations:
    I tried your method using Synaptics drivers.

Is your touchpad's led working after the setup? In device manager what does it mention?

Yes it seems to be better indeed. Let's see if it's stable too. Only time will tell.

Apart from leds not working anymore, the touchpad seems EXTREMELY stable. If the leds is the sacrifice I have to make then so be it..

Do your touchpad leds work or not after installing the Synaptics driver? Is this the only price to pay for installing these drivers?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2020
    Fire Tiger likes this.