*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Always_Wipe

Always_Wipe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Get the Alienware 120Hz 1440P 34" Ultrawide. I have it and its fantastic. It also goes on sale often. Also there's literally no graphics card out there than can hit higher than 144htz on a 1440p ultrawide 34". So its pretty great since it maximizes what any system can push.

RMLJD likes this.
  2. Duck W

Duck W Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I do hope some actions will wake them up. Their recent direction is getting ridiculous. Now, I don't know what the difference between Alienware and Acer anymore. What's next? Soldering heatsinks so end users can't replace their toothpaste?
    I really want an Alienware that is as good as my old ones without any major issues.

raz8020, DreDre and Papusan like this.
  3. Always_Wipe

Reputations:
    You have a problem with separating the product from the company mate. Everyone here mostly complains about the awful business practices of Dell/Alienware related to their Area51-M. IE: gimping the 2080 with BIOS or locking out basic features behind an invisible paywall.

The Alienware brand explicitly states its for people who like to dig into overclocking, repasting, modifying, etc. So don't act surprised when the enthusiast crown gets enthusiastic about their product. We aren't idiots who take Dells word as final because we have backgrounds that let us know what they're saying is a bunch of BS.

So again, nothing against the Area51-M and everything against Dell's terrible business practices. If I wanted unnecessary constraints and lockouts I would have bought a MacBook. At least theyre honest about the practice.

raz8020, Rei Fukai, DreDre and 4 others like this.
  4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Well I would've never checked but when I installed SVP (Smooth Video Project) it does a system performance test when it first launches and it kept telling me CPU usage is high so I checked and it was the lghub.exe causing this. I rebooted, no luck, denied it internet access from the firewall, no luck, then I did a Google search and found many with the same issue, this is one example from reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/LogitechG/comments/cxtgbp/lghub_agent_100_cpu_usage/

No solution was ever found even the Logitech support can only suggest reinstalling it but that doesn't make any sense because this was a clean install on a clean Windows 10 1809 build.

I am shocked how you found an uninstaller for it, mine didn't have that in the Programs & Features which is why I had to format because I couldn't even force uninstall it using Uninstallation Tools since it's not even listed in the programs, that cost me a lot of work. If you Google this issue you will find a myriad of threads on forums about this with no solution. I'm glad it's not doing that for you.

I installed the Logitech Gaming Software for my G900 Chaos Spectrum Mouse but also had to delete the discord crap to also prevent high CPU usage, see:
    Warning: High CPU Usage with the latest Logitech Gaming Software

I swear I am never buying a Logitech product anymore, their software is utter garbage.

5. Always_Wipe

Reputations:
    I've been slowly going to Steelseries and only my mouse isa Logitech 903. After the latest update, it will crash almost any game after 15-30 min. Whole PC just freezes.

6. Macaiden

Macaiden Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone had any luck flashing an unlocked bios so we can use the locked features? I’m looking into getting a flashing tool so I can flash the chip directly since there seems to be no real way to do it with afudos. I’m curious to hear other users experiences related to this

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If you have any USB devices connected, disconnect them and see if the problem goes away. If it does, it is either a messed up USB peripheral or some settings need to be tweaked to stop it. If it happens when nothing is attached except for the AC adapter(s), it can still be indirectly related to buggy software for peripheral devices. If you have any Killer Networking software installed, remove it. If your USB peripherals have proprietary software installed, including RGB lighting controls, uninstall all of those things. Be sure to go through all of your entries in Device Manager. Right-click and select Properties. Any that have a Power Management tab, disable the option to allow Windows to turn off the device to save power. Start with the USB devices, but don't skip any device.

That is not accurate. The above reply is exemplary of what I do frequently.

You're either not paying attention, need to spend more time in other threads, or something else. I seldom post in this thread, and when I do it is generally when I am tagged. After I respond I usually click the unwatch link at the top of the page.

It's OK to call the balls and strikes and express contempt for incompetence, lies and shoddy engineering. I do it all the time, against all brands... not just Dell / Alienware. Trash is trash no matter who has the balls to put their name on the garbage they sell. I don't care if anyone gets their knickers in a twist... not my problem. I have better things to do than spend all of my time being critical of Dell... got to give equal time to all the other craptastic trash peddlers.

I think the only thing that differs with Alienware is the disappointment is greater. But, that is on me for expecting more from them than their competitors. Silly me. I don't any more, but I certainly used to.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    raz8020, Rei Fukai, 0lok and 2 others like this.
  8. Always_Wipe

Reputations:
    Good luck King. A few users have stated that there's a chip on the Motherboard that won't allow anything to bypass official Dell BIOS versions. I would love it if you figured it out.

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Doing so is not possible due to Intel BIOS Guard. Even a SPI flash won't work. You would need to replace the PCH chip with one that does not have BIOS Guard enabled to eliminate the cancer.

raz8020 and c69k like this.
  10. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any original owners around still? I still got my 9900k and 2080 running strong... Guess we survived the MOSFET issue in the beginning...

IXVIXXII, DreDre, Virale and 2 others like this.