*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The firmware need signing. I'm sure HID don't have that key. Same for the other OEM/resellers. All is locked out.

2. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ahh, of course..

Papusan likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Industrial-grade firmware cancer... a meticulously crafted and maliciously orchestrated effort to enforce compliance through both firmware signing and hardware controls.

I can think of nothing to be gained from it but the joy of defiance. It may not be engineered to adequately handle more than they allow without a risk of failure (fire being one of the hazards). And, it comes at the cost of providing financial support for the demonic beings that implemented it in the first place.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  4. Always_Wipe

Always_Wipe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The best part is that they allow you to overclock the CPU + GPU if you want. I swapped the stock i7 9700 with an i9 9900K I bought from Newegg. Running 5.0Ghz on all cores @ 33C and repasted the GPU. The system has so much potential if they would just stop being control freaks. I'm mostly pissed off that there's no documentation warning users about the XMP lockout.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah, it would be very bad if they didn't offer the same as all other brands who offer unlocked chips in their models.

And i really hope they don't go as far as lock out undervolt as they have started do for rest of their models http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-win-update-bios.831450/page-18#post-11007753

Jhort, Fire Tiger and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. DRTH_STi

DRTH_STi can't.stop.buying.laptops

Reputations:
    Just put in a 32GB stick I had lying around of samsung memory combined with my current 16GB and it took it like a champ. System definitely running faster. Total 48GB mem.

7. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

My Profile.zip file is dated March 26, 2020 - last accessed March 27, 22020 - I have mine set to NO Over Clock and have not touched it in a while ...

MAYBE this is why I have not experienced the Locked at 75c issue ?

Jhort likes this.
  8. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    The Placebo effect can do wonders bro! I mean with all my games installed and apps loaded, I rarely use over 8GB of RAM out of my 32GB so I don't know how your system feels faster with 48GB vs 32GB.
    Please don't post your feelings but benchmarks of before/after (no offense meant)

If anything, that would be actually slower because now the 2 sticks you had earlier are still working in DDR (Dual Data Rate) mode whilst that single 16GB if in SDR (single Data Rate) mode so when something is working in that memory space it would actually be slower. That's why I only upgrade RAM in pairs of two and that's why companies like ASUS are so stupid IMO because a lot of their laptops come with weird configurations like 24GB RAM! Who does that!

In the past, doing what you did will cause the entire system to drop down to SDR speed but luckily Intel introduced a Technology called Flex Memory Technology which allows 2 pairs to work in DDR and the single RAM stick to be in SDR instead of dragging the entire system speed down.

[​IMG]

Jhort, RMLJD, Normimb and 1 other person like this.
  9. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes that's pretty much what a builder / reseller told me when we first saw this advertised.

And my guess at the time was that they were cherry picking the boards that can handle it to sell at a premium.

Well if its just a PCH chip, I have a solder gun :) maybe ill get really bored if this Virus lockdown continues much longer.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2020
    Mr. Fox, Papusan and Fire Tiger like this.
  10. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I noticed this today as well.
    I had no issue with downloading and installing the previous version of the OC controls 1.2.50.1227, A00:
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...wt64a&productcode=alienware-17-area51m-laptop

I just had to uninstall the new March version from Control Panel, Install the downloaded ones and I can increase the GPU temperature back to 87 Celsius.
    (I restarted after the install when it wanted to. Using the latest AW Control Panel).

Still is interesting to see how they "fixed the problem".

Maybe this helps.

Jhort and pathfindercod like this.