*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    They will support any common GPU by Nvidia and AMD up to 460 Watt, esp. if its a reference spec. I have used one with a GTX Titan, 1080 and 1080 Ti. I have heard of people changing them to have better fans and PSU IIRC. That being said....

https://www.dell.com/support/articl...mplifier-supported-graphics-card-list?lang=en

EDIT: I have to run mine "hotrod" style - the top is angled open due the height of the card : /

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    etern4l and lestat2k7 like this.
  2. lestat2k7

lestat2k7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can I use non ref card? Like the ones with big fans 3x etc? Also this is what AGA allows in 51m? I mean all high-end laptops should allow external GPU no? I will do more research.

etern4l likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    RMLJD, jc_denton, Fire Tiger and 2 others like this.
  4. lestat2k7

lestat2k7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I see but AGA seems Alienware only so I will pass that one hehe.

But I saw on Jarrod tech channel he said if you use laptop display with egpu there is a performance cost? Not sure why that is?

I assume related to Optimus and such?

jclausius likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    If your system supports G-stink you won't be able to use the notebook display with the GA. The signals go throghout the iGPU and to the notebook display. This is the bottleneck. For me is Optimus in any form or shape a disgusting tech. I avoided it with 3D panel on my old AW and iGPU power rails isn't connected at all on my Clevo.

jclausius, jc_denton and lestat2k7 like this.
  6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can Google graphics cards officially supported by AGA. It includes older Titans but not Titan RTX. It could be due to the default PSU (450W AFAIR), which is very easily upgradeable, or it could be due to card dimensions.

We know that AGA doesn't disable the internal dGPU, but is it possible to connect the AGA to 51M, yet still have the display driven by the internal dGPU? For many applications that would be enough.

Optimus is awesome, because it greatly extends battery life, which you know - many laptop users care about.

Gsync sounds compelling until people realise the experience is similar to Vsync. VSync introduces very noticeable input lag (it's completely useless in FPS games), even at 60fps. If the reason Dell didn't include Optimus in 51M was to allow Gsync, that's a very poor tradeoff IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2020
    lestat2k7 likes this.
  7. jc_denton

jc_denton V̖̟en̰g̻̼̰̩͙ea̲n̪c̭e̼ ͍̘̤͓̟̤Is̙͔ ̤Mi̻̭̣͎͍ͅn̰ḙ

Reputations:
    LOL, well at least don't inhale the blue magic smoke coming from hardware :p They might be able to limit FPS with the driver, that could in theory limit power/heat. But mostly it reminds me of the "download more ram" adds.

Papusan, Spartan and etern4l like this.
  8. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The AGA also unofficially works with many other cards. I've used a Titan RTX, Titan V and even a Tesla V100 in mine without any significant problems.

Conflicting drivers are usually the most frustrating thing to fight with. I've found this to especially be the case with Quadros. It's much easier to add an external Quadro card to a laptop that already has an internal Quadro like the precision series, which means you're stuck with TB3 enclosures. This isn't necessarily a bad thing--if your work load requires the large VRAM of something like a RTX 6000, I'm guessing a lot of the work you are doing is done exclusively on the card with minimal communication with the CPU. TB3 is plenty sufficient in this case. The TB3 bottleneck is worst when a lot of info is crossing the PCIe lanes. This is why external GPUs perform worse with high refresh rates and lower resolution (1080p + 144hz) compared to lower refresh rates and high resolution (4k60). In my case, using a V100 (32GB VRAM) over TB3 performs almost the same as when in my desktop for performing deep learning tasks. Fill the VRAM with work to do and let it go.

Yes, this is how I prefer to use my AGA with the 51m and why I prefer it as my mobile work device. If you run monitors off both the dGPU and the AGA, you will get high GPU utilization on the desktop window manager task and some odd stuttering but it works.

I prefer to let the internal dGPU run my multiple external displays and I can use the GPU in the AGA to perform my work tasks. I've commented multiple times to my colleagues and our Dell rep that I think this configuration is a huge opportunity for the precision series. I would love to have a less flashy Precision with ECC memory support and an AGA port for connecting a GPU but I totally acknowledge this is a very niche market. Until then, I'll keep using the 51m.

Papusan, jc_denton and etern4l like this.
  9. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fantastic info, many thanks!
    For completeness sake - any particular TB3 eGPU enclosure you would recommend?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020