*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. oni222

oni222 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks again for all your help!

Papusan and Spartan like this.
  2. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Not trolling or disagreeing, but unless you are doing hardcore rendering and multiple apps, why on earth would you ever want 128 GB RAM? I mean unless I have like 6 VMs' up on my desktop I never get close to it, much less utilize 16 threads... I mean power is _nice_.... but ... what would you do to hit 128 GB ? Are you doing a lot of graphic work, folding or something?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    RMLJD and Spartan like this.
  3. lestat2k7

lestat2k7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am a senior fx td (vfx artist) who worked on Hollywood movies like Aquaman, X-Men: Dark Phoenix, Star Wars Rise of Skywalker, etc, so I know the hardware requirements to achieve this kind of vfx work. I am not using my laptop to do these of course, but the studio workstation and the farm, but it's still beneficial for me to be able to work on similar stuff for personal projects.

A simple case of a water sim, say a river simulation you can do easily sim 30-40M particles using 12 GB roughly, but once you wanna go 1 level up in resolution (1 level down in voxel resolution or particle separation), you are looking at 96 GB so more likely you would have to have 128 GB to continue. (coz everything is cubic 2^).

So while having a lot of cores speeds things up a lot, not having enough RAM is what limits a lot of things. Also the app I use, can solve things on the GPU but often times GPU memory is severe bottleneck so have to set OCL to use CPU via intel drivers to bypass this. That's why I was excited about RTX 6000 on a laptop.

That's why I would love to have these on a laptop as I move often times between contracts.

4. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No problem bro !

Fire Tiger and Spartan like this.
  5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice. You must have thought about dropping an RTX Titan into the AGA?

jclausius, Fire Tiger and Spartan like this.
  6. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I guess each person has is usage scenario.

For example, on my previous Area-51m, I configured it with 128GB of RAM. You know, just to feel that I'm top of the food chain! Then I checked my RAM usage, I barely use 6GB during my normal activities which is browsing the web with a few tabs, watching YouTube, whilst having SVP in the system tray, Antivirus (VIPRE), Internet download Manager, skype, OneDrive.

So even if I game or launch Photoshop or Premiere, I won't even come close to using even 30% of that. That's why this time when I bought the Area-51m. I left it alone with the stock config and I'm still using the same amount of RAM so I won't need more (personally)

7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As an owner of Area 51M, you can sleep well knowing you can expand your memory up to 128GB, which is the way it should be. It also increases resale value (since the buyer might actually need more RAM), which you might appreciate as someone who changes laptops every quarter at the latest :)

RMLJD, LoneSyndal, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  8. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
  9. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    I'm all for maxing out for the hell of it, I was just curious what would utilize that much memory... 16 GB was just uncomfortably low, 32 GB would have been fine... but 64!

Spartan and Fire Tiger like this.
  10. lestat2k7

lestat2k7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes definitely though don't know too much about these. Do they support any gpu or are they by wattage since each gpu had different power req?

Also not sure how big and heavy these things are. Rtx Titan or rtx 8000 would be great coz of memory.

But I can't drop 5k on a gpu it's too much. Gpu rendering would be really good using redshift but major studios don't use it but cpu based renderers still.

But I am mainly interested in sim capabilities of these hence I need more memory on these also. The app itself can't use multi gpu for sims only one.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    etern4l likes this.