*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does anyone here have an intermittent issue where their USBs are interrupted for a second or two and it causes the entire computer to freeze while they reconnect, or is this just an issue with my usb hub?

It's really annoying because it causes Discord to lose audio source and I have to restart the program for it to return to normal. Happens often enough to be a hinderance.

2. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So in ECO mode it's basically an 8C/16T CPU in MT benchmarks? That's pretty unfortunate, and somewhat defeats the purpose. They should set the PPT to 95W or whatever the heatsink is spec'd for instead of just setting it to ECO.

(or use PBO as mentioned above)

3. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Lies again with the SD card slot!!!!!!! Hahahaha

4. S1ammin

S1ammin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I have never even tried to run my 3950x in ECO mode. I did not purchase it for anything like that. I'm not even curious. But I wouldn't be surprised if ECO mode just disables one of the CCD's.

Too bad that's unfortunate for you.

So much negativity in this forum. I think I've learned everything I need to know about my 51M here and will just monitor this thread from now on.

Wish list? None really. This laptop checks all of the boxes I purchased it for. Anything above that is just gravy.

Papasaun, Mr. Fox, I'm not sure what your roles are here either, but I suspect your motives. And I also think your posts just breed more negativity.

And yes, the 51M should have it's own area for folks that don't own one, but love to discourage anyone else that owns, or is considering owning one..

5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Probably best to wait for real laptop results. The benchmark results I posted earlier show + 50% in GeekBench vs 9900KS in ECO mode. No CB20 unfortunately. Probably best to wait for some laptop results, but the potential is obvious.

What's a CCD in a CPU? Various articles on the Web suggest ECO mode TDP results in just lower clock frequencies as you would expect.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/amd-ryzen-9-3900-review-eco-mode

Of course, people would be hard pressed to use this in a proper desktop, it's designed for small form factor devices and exploits the fact that increasing CPU power offers diminishing returns.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Rei Fukai likes this.
  6. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I have
    it also. Drives me nuts

7. lestat2k7

lestat2k7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's why I posted about the new XMG lol. Because 3950x makes the once impressive 9900K/S not that impressive anymore, certainly for people like me who wants a lot of cores.

Though I do question why they use 15" so hard pass for me.

All I want to see now that the bar is higher, is 3950x, 17" 4K mini led screen, 128GB RAM, 2070 and up, vapor chamber and nice chassis like 51m, or msi, or some Asus or even gigabyte, anything but the 80s bland chassis designs.

10th gen intel looks silly to me now.

jclausius and Rei Fukai like this.
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    15 inch laptops are better on the go - and arguably many laptop owners require this. Which brings me to battery life, an unknown here. Can 3950X operate reasonably at a few W? How efficient is the graphics switching, if it's even enabled?

OTOH Intel introduced Optimus 2 which supports gsync, so hopefully this feature will make it to the 51M.

lestat2k7 likes this.
  9. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That was a engineering sample. It was on the infamous version with the extra heat pipe that fell decided against after showing the notebook.

10. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    What is the keyboard shortcut for the FN + F1 do? I see it looks like 3 double sided plates. I tried pressing it but nothing happened.

Also, is there no keyboard shortcut to sleep?