*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looking at the service manual, it might suggest a CPU failure, I'm not 100% certain though. Have you tried resetting the CMOS battery to see if that helps?

Service Manual URL - https://www.dell.com/support/manual...0a87a2-f7de-45c3-8aaa-e6585d53e11b&lang=en-us

Normimb, manitu and Papusan like this.
  2. manitu

manitu Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, I disconnected the CMOS battery for 5 minutes. It did not help.
    It seems there is no other way to understand the matter in the processor or not, except to try to install a new one.

3. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    You know I am pulling your leg right?

Fire Tiger, Spartan and Sup3rKillaX like this.
  4. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh lol.. Sorrys ><

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Fire Tiger likes this.
  5. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    try this:

- Turn the system off and disconnect the AC adapter
    - Disconnect CMOS battery and system battery**
    - Do a power drain (press and hold power button 30 seconds)
    - Remove all memory modules
    - Reconnect AC adapter and power system on
    - Let laptop beep until it turns itself off
    - VERY QUICKLY, WHILE IT IS OFF, BUT BEFORE IT ATTEMPTS TO BOOT AND LIGHTS COME ON AGAIN, INSERT 1 MEMORY MODULE
    - System will start to beep 5 times
    - Power system off
    - Reconnect CMOS battery and system battery
    - Replace any panels removed for access to memory modules

Done

Credit goes to @Mr. Fox for these steps.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Papusan, uugui shi, kfxsti and 10 others like this.
  6. kaworu876

kaworu876 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys! Me again. Been luxuriating in the sensual viscera\ of my Alienware Area 51, but uh.... There is this thing that just happened.

So just now I loaded up Starcraft2 for the first time since I'd gotten all the updates and drivers and set everything right, or so I thought. And when it loaded, the screen flickered like it was changing resolutions.

"Aw, man.." I mutter half to my roommate and half to myself. "This thing's supposed to just properly run at 1080p on fullscreen, but for some darn reason Starcraft 2 wants to run at a LOWER resolution..." As I am saying this I'm clicking through and stuff doesn't look quite the same, but it doesn't look at all bad either and its almost normal - I figure it's at 1600x900 for some weird reason.

So I go back to the desktop with my game still running, and yep - sure enough the taskbar and icons are like twice their normal size and crowding the desktop all of a sudden. We've all seen this sort of thing plenty of times in our own respective PC gaming careers, it's just a near-constant chronic annoyance, and I was not thinking much of it at all when I went to fix it. In retrospect, I'm realizing now, it may have been the first time I every actually looked at the resolution options for this computer!

I mean, I had been through the display settings several times, and I'd always seen the resolution set to 1920x1080 - followed by the telltale "(Recommended)". Now, naturally, since the computer which I bought had repeatedly advertised itself as "FHD IPS 144Hz 1080p G-SYNC TOBII!![ in the formation for the display - I did spring for all the display updates, as display quality has a tremendous effect on the overall quality of the experience you have with your laptop, generally - you're going to be staring at it whenever you use your laptop, so make sure its good!

I am getting way off-topic here. So, I am going to fix the resolution on my desktop, then go into the Starcraft2 settings and change it from like 1024x768 or 1600x900 or whatever the hell the default was set at when it got installed. I am sighing to myself, remembering that this is one of the very annoying parts of getting a new PC, reinstalling your favorite games and getting all the settings right :(

I open display settings, and have to expand it, and I am immediately confused. What in the...? The resolution is scaled up to 250% of its normal resolution... No wonder everything looks huge! I set the scale back to 100% and.. WHOA!!! The resolution changes but it doesn't go back normal, it goes ultra small, and I can barely read anything! The taskbar is teeny!

I expand the display menu so I can finally see all of it, and there it is - the resolution is set to 3840x2160. What the HECK? I am utterly and totally befuddled.

"How is this...WHAT?!" I exclaim outloud. "This laptop monitor goes to... to 3840x2160! What does that mean???" Luckily, I am not sheltering inside alone during this crisis, and my friend and roommate answered me. "It means you have a really good laptop monitor."

So, uh, guys? What's the deal here. What's going on? The hardware ID for the monitor is CMN175F aaaaaand.... I really was NOT EXPECTING A 4K MONITOR!

Is this a very good and cool thing? Do I have some.... FRANKENSTEIN version of the Area-51M with 4K? That uh... seems to be the case but I can't comprehend that it might be true.

But right now, I'm running Windows at 3840x2160 (scaled up to just 175%) and it looks really fabulous and reminds me of running 1080p at 100% on like a 15-inch monitor, except kinda moreso? 1080p films/TV look STUNNING in this resolution though, so I guess we will see about games? I am still somewhat in shock over this.

This is not a joke, though. This is for real. This really seems to be a 4k screen. I mean..., a 1080 panel cannot just *scale up* out of nowhere based on software, right? I mean it has to be built in a particular way to project pixels that are that fine.... I think?

The weird thing is that I really don't know if I'm super-lucky to have this happening, or unlucky? Is it just gonna be a new feature? I sure as hell wish I'd sprung for the RTX 20080 now, because i had no idea I was gonna get native 4K gaming on my laptop.

TLDR: The Area-51M laptop, which I received on Tuesday of last week (March 24th) seems to have come with a display panel with a native resolution of 3840x2160 and I didn't notice until today. :vbconfused::vbconfused::vbeek::vbeek::vbeek:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2020
  7. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    @kaworu876 Here is where you left the tracks..."I did spring for all the display updates, as display quality has a tremendous effect on the overall quality of the experience you have with your laptop, generally - you're going to be staring at it whenever you use your laptop, so make sure its good!"

You apparently grabbed the 4K UHD (3840x2160) screen upgrade and didn't notice it.

Sadly, that is a 60Hz screen, which is fine for videos, but the Full HD (1920x1080) 144Hz would be better for gaming.

DreDre, jc_denton, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  8. kaworu876

kaworu876 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Uh, no. There were no options or upgrades for UHD available on this model. These are the four display options, and I will bold the one I chose:

No option for UHD. It is mentioned in nearly every single review of the Area-51m that there is no option to upgrade to UHD.

Further to the point, this monitor is running at 144Hz. I just checked my advanced display settings.

So what the heck is going on?

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/monitor_info_view.html

MonitorInfoView is a small utility that displays essential information about your monitor: manufacture week/year, monitor manufacturer, monitor model, supported display modes, and more...

Lopt, RMLJD, jc_denton and 3 others like this.
  10. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    https://www.hwinfo.com/ is another good one that will give you the model number. Google for reviews.

Once we know what screen is in it, we will know whether Dell made a mistake, or you have a mystery screen. :)

Lopt, RMLJD, uugui shi and 2 others like this.