*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    No idea, maybe @Prema can shed some light on this.
    ====================================================
    On a side note, I find it really sad that ASUS offers 3200MHz. RAM on a little jokebook while we can't even get 2666 MHz.! = RAM: 16GB DDR4/3200 in dual-channel mode = ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14

@Papusan @etern4l

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    If the system bios has a whitelist of valid monitor ID's for GSYNC support it may be patchable if it is exposed via an ACPI _DSM method. If we could get an ACPI dump of both 1.5.0 and the newer version that supports the Chimei panel we could inject the newer BIOS's list at boot to potentially enable support. This kind of thing is pretty common to do with hackintosh ACPI related issues.

Docsteel, Fire Tiger and Virale like this.
  3. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I like where this guy is going with this !!! Haha

Fire Tiger likes this.
  4. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here here! @win32asmguy how would we provide those ACPI dumps? Would it still be viable with how locked down Dells BIOS' are?

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  5. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    On the surface it might be working - the frame rate will show "drops" - that is normal, if its synching the buffer up though it feels smooth. I am betting if it *does* work then its some kind of firmware upgrade to the video card or monitor itself, but this starts to get to the edge of my knowledge at that level. My monitor driver version is 10.0.18362.693 - lol the date shows 6/21/....2006 .... o_O

Fire Tiger likes this.
  6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    From linux this should work: https://bugs.launchpad.net/lpbugreporter/+bug/752542

You could also use Clover / OpenCore to get a dump. I found a few methods that way listed here: https://khronokernel.github.io/Getting-Started-With-ACPI/Manual/dump.html. Windows doesn't really have a way to apply an ACPI patch at boot either, so for this to work you would eventually need to use a bootloader like those.

I did check @ssj92 youtube videos on Hackintoshing his 51m but unfortunately I did not see any ACPI dumps in what he posted. In theory even the first version of the bios should have some kind of list with the original AUO and LG GSYNC panels that were shipped.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  7. uugui shi

uugui shi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello again everyone, today I got my A51m and replaced the ram and added my drives with no problems and so far everything looks great (even the temps!).
    Just one question: I've noticed the display has quite warm colors by default I guess this is the eyesafe technology is there a way to disable it?
    I'll add some information you might be interested in: the display is chimei, bios is latest version, 2666Mhz ram is capped at 2400Mhz, so basically nothing new from my unit.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  8. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's a generic driver for all monitors, same for me:

9.png

Speaking of which, I recently asked the developer of Display Driver Uninstaller, why is there an option to remove (present and non-present monitor drivers)? It didn't make sense to me.

I was surprised to see this so I enabled Show Hidden Devices and then expanded Monitors and whatd'ya know, I found like 10 different hidden monitors (from past driver reinstallations) so I deleted them all.

@Papusan @Fire Tiger @custom90gt @Mr. Fox @iunlock @ssj92

Docsteel, Fire Tiger and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. S1ammin

S1ammin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Man, been drooling over that VKG stuff for awhile and if these rudders break down, that's on my short list for certain!

Yes, I actually ordered a powered USB hub at the same time I ordered my 51M. They will never build a laptop with enough USB ports for my setup, lol! Until I rebuilt my desktop I had about 8 USB devices connected into my 51M.

RMLJD likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Did you find and delete all of the other "hidden devices" in Windows 10 Device Manager. You'll probably find a crap ton of ghost devices under multiple categories.

Fire Tiger and Papusan like this.