*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Reflash the same BIOS version that you have, you can do it through Windows now no need to use the recovery flash USB. then load setup defaults immediately, save and exit then re-enter BIOS again, now change Firmware Capsule updates to Disabled then boot to Windows and check

2. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'll also try this brother thanks! Assume this won't mess anything to do with the RAID0 setup?

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah man! Like Spartan says too, I remember resetting BIOS settings while attempting to fix it.

It does work... it’s a software/firmware glitch I’m 99% sure of it. The chipset drivers trigger something in the audio daughter board that makes it misbehave. Reset BIOS, try diagnostics again, restart, etc...

Reflash BIOS is an option, but I never had to do that.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    nope

Fire Tiger likes this.
  5. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'll give these suggestions a try, thanks alot for the advice its appreciated. I'll report back and let you know.

6. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    No worries, different folks go to different depths on overclocking, etc.

You don't have to technically change a thing with what you have off-hand, but if you use OC1 or OC2 they are just profiles to kick up the CPU/GPU for clock speeds resulting in better performance pretty much out of the box. I will say that from what I understand (someone correct me if I am wrong) that if you run your cooling profile on balanced, it will reduce power somewhat, you need to be at Performance or higher to get best results for speed for gaming and benchmarks, otherwise normal use just use balanced in most cases.

The only other thing is you might want to go into the Nvidia control panel and change the power management mode setting to Performance but here there is some disagreement but I personally think its best for most people.

The AWCC tools are fine for first getting into it, but stick to the fixed settings, but explore the advanced and learn what they do. Most people strive to OC but reduce voltage for heat.

EDIT: Rule of thumb, don't change any settings unless you feel you have a good grasp of what they do! However, the AWCC built-in OC settings are safe in most cases, but I know on mine I couldn't do the OC 2 with a graphic issue, so I made a custom profile to not OC the GPU.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  7. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    a couple of our job sites got shut down because of the stay at home order (HVAC install and service) even though we are an essential business so i'm playing a lot more games now.

I've been playing Doom Eternal the last few days and i am about to start Half Life Alex in VR. i have also been playing a lot of Apex Legends with friends but that has been on Xbox One X since that is what they have.

8. Expje87

Expje87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    do you have the index by any chance?

9. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    Macrium Reflect Rescue Disk ISO v7.2.4808

Don't forget to unblock the file after downloading it, any file you download from the internet by default has a BLOCKED status. Go to properties of the file and hit the Unblock button at the bottom, then APPLY, then OK. To stop this stupid auto blocking of downloaded files, see: "Are you sure you want to run this file?" [Yes or No]

This is the FULL Macrium Reflect ISO which supports cloning to dissimilar hardware.

Use Rufus to create a bootable USB Flash Disk from it so you can backup and restore your system without needing to install the app.

@Mr. Fox @iunlock @kojack @ssj92 @Prema @Papusan @bloodhawk

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    ssj92, Papusan, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.
  10. kfxsti

kfxsti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Add me to the list . Got mine over the weekend and I must say this is a fairly well built machine. Delidded the 9700k and did a @Mr. Fox edition voltage curve on the 2070 and am having a blast with it so far. Anyone have any recommendations for fan control ? AWCC is inconsistent as hell with trying to make a fan curve work as everything results in 80% fan speed. I've seen where hwinfo would work, but will it mess with any of the Throttlestop settings ? And can't we technically nuke AWCC all together and just let Throttlestop and MSIAFTB handle the clocks we want ? That way we arent using portions of XTU? Also , I came across a post somewhere asking about the Intel Thermal Dynamic driver and it being with a bit of age from Dell. I upgrade a few of the outdated drivers with newer versions and have not had any issues-- Other than the fan curve stuff, but that was before I started testing the newer drivers anyway lol.

Fire Tiger, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.