*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. S1ammin

S1ammin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Matcube64, I wish I could help but I have no idea what could be going on there. My Index just works. I use it on both an Intel (A51m) and an AMD rig and have never seen that error you are seeing. I wish I could even offer any suggestion other than Google.

2. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Huh. Appreciate the nice words, regardless. Like I said, works flawlessly on my other older desktop - and I'm definitely not alone with the A51 issues. But odd that yours is flawless. Which MiniDP->DP cable do you use, and are you on the most recent Nvidia drivers?

3. S1ammin

S1ammin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  4. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Im not sure why you guys feel the need to drag us through this. This is a laptop forum. Some people just like owning laptops, why need a reason. Hobbys are suppose to be enjoyable and not logical. People may paint all there life because they like to do it, not because its there only source of income which does not generate for them. We are passionate about laptops here, that is what this forum is for. If you want to post how much more logical it is to own a desktop, go to the desktop forums and express your love for them there. People buy stuff all the time because they enjoy the stuff. What else needs to be said? Why crap all over Area51m owners because it doesn't make sense to you given there are these things called desktops. We have had this discussion over the years many times and it never fails to be painfully not needed.

Its like you guys are completely oblivious to the real world. I wouldnt go post on the BMW forum telling the entire community how unlogical it is to buy there vehicles because there are Toyota vehicles that are more reliable and better value. It frustrating to watch you guys crap all over the mobile community like this all the time. I know a lot of you come from eastern countries or that life style but get a grip. Theres no need to drag us through your crap opinions why Laptops dont make any sense any more.

rant concluded, you may continue with your scheduled broadcast. I will not mention this drab subject again in this 2000 post thread. Beware of other threads through!;);););)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Tim V., RMLJD, Shadow God and 9 others like this.
  5. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My apologies... Just mad about the investment I made and got just a waste out of it in the end, but to those that are happy with your 51M I'm glad and I'll maybe look into the R2 of its ever a thing. Happy gaming!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Fire Tiger and Rengsey R. H. Jr. like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    It's lovely. Dell take more care of their old Aw models than their latest and greatest. Older systems as m15/17 have already got the fall/winter security fixes from Intel implemented in latest bios while the newer AW models is totally forgotten. Maybe Dell use their old systems as guinea pig?:D This below is just a reminder of what will come.
    [​IMG]

Probably a new dead graphics... Area-51m, not booting, #3

7. Expje87

Expje87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmmm i want to buy the index but seeing all the problems with it i’m scared of dishing out 800 euro’s

8. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Whilst trying to sort my DPC Latency (audible pop whilst watching videos) I have somehow managed to break my inbuilt speakers. Audio jack and USB still play sound. Don't know why I just can't let things be.

9. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    On the games response, I am going from a YT video that measure max frames vs. I think it was 1% low, and the 9700K "drops" down further on the 1% than the 9900K, so that is what I am referring to. Applications like say a large compression, etc. or rendering will be weaker than the 9900K. I do the OC to 5.1 simply because I can :)

The GPU OTOH, like I say, I am mystified. My benchmarks seem relatively normal, bit towards the high end, but I cannot guess why the GPU clock shows so much higher... not sure I could push it higher ..... still, at the end of the day, the 2070 is not equal to a 2080, but its no slouch either for a laptop video card in this day and time, I guess that's my point. Even a 2080 Mobile falls about 5% below a desktop 1080.... a 2070 Mobile, about 20%. My only real gripe with the A51M is that you cannot drive the internal display with the AGA.... :mad:

10. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Dude.... chill. The post was a small discussion about why some people opt for a laptop over a desktop and I offered cases where it made sense despite being more static. FWIW, I came very close to just going laptop but at the time the power difference didn't justify it. In fact, I think if power is your first concern which it is for the average buyer, then often a desktop just makes more sense....

No one is the least bit "oblivious" to the real world here, in fact this forum is obviously by its nature supportive of owning laptops and I think we all have one that we love to use. As I speak, I am on my A51M which I keep on my kitchen bar (much to my wife's disdain but she lost that fight) while my Aurora R7 sits in my office. I love both equally, along with my AW13 R3 as my most portable option. As an owner of oh, at least 9 different AW laptops, and two desktops, I am very friendly to the concept of a laptop. My point was that there are other reasons for owning a laptop beyond power.... where a more static configuration still justifies the concessions (and cost) of a laptop. No one is crapping on mobile I really don't get how you read this out tbh, I guess the "makes sense" part touched a nerve. My apologies if that seems as if I am decrying just owning a laptop, but if you never move a system and want the most power, then yes a logical decision is a desktop no question. A laptop is then an emotional decision and that is okay too.