*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    I see this from time to time. The only cases I can think of that this makes any sense are: 1) people who might be tempted to go to a friends house or remote location to play periodically, or hope they might, or 2) Students/young people who want a very small foot print and again, want the option to take it on the go, or 3) are somewhat "transient", meaning they have a room in a home with other renters, etc. and may need to move out in short order without a clear idea of living space in the future.

2. kaworu876

kaworu876 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys, really dumb question but... Just to make sure, the RTX 2070 in the Area 51m I am getting *is* the mobile version? The one described and benchmarked here?
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2070-Laptop-Graphics-Card.384936.0.html

I'm only slightly confused because there are desktop GPUs with the same name, as well as (I think) now three different versions of the mobile 20-series GPUs: there's the one I linked above which I *think* is the standard mobile one. Then there's the Max-Q versions, which as I understand are undervolted or generate less heat or something? Then there are these "super mobile" versions of the 2070 and the 2080. I was hoping maybe I was going to get a SUPER mobile GPU, but it does not look as if they've been released yet.

It's a bit silly, especially since this is such a big upgrade as it stands already, going from a 970 to a 2070.

3. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As @S1ammin said, you want to undervolt the CPU to try and lower those temps a bit.

If you haven't done so already, I'd look at using ThrottleStop or Intel XTU. If you do use either please make sure that you set the OC Profile in AWCC to off.

@B0B whos a member here as well has made a pretty straightforward guide for ThrottleStop and its this guide that helped me start using it.

The CPU is different but the principles are the same. As an example my 9700k is set at 5ghz all cores with -0.95mV undervolt.

B0B and Papusan like this.
  4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's the mobile one, helps to read at least one review before buying a $3k laptop. NBC tends to do decent ones: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-Area-51m-i9-9900K-RTX-2080-Laptop-Review.414667.0.html

5. kaworu876

kaworu876 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Lol, I read (and watched) quite a few reviews, not only of the Area 51M itself but of the components, too. But that doesn't mean it's impossible to get confused about certain things, or start to feel unsure or worried at the last minute. I had assumed all along it was the standard mobile RTX 2070 being used, but I am just feeling like, really nervous because it IS a huge 3K purchase, and part of me wants to be absolutely certain about some things. Just reading and seeing some things about both the Max-Q and Super Mobile iterations made me feel unsure - I had thought that there was, essentially, one version of the mobile 2070 and that was it; but there are three versions. But then, thinking about how different the A51M is with its desktop processor, the fact that the mobile version this time is just called 'RTX 2070' and not "2070m", I started to wonder if it even freaking was a mobile GPU or if it could possibly be a desktop GPU and I just did not notice. I know this all seems a bit stupid, but I just... wanted to hear from someone human in plain words about this. Yes, I am being dumb and somewhat irrational; forgive me.

On a side note, yeah, I have some anxiety problems. Lol.

jclausius and Docsteel like this.
  6. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You have had it for a year...did it always run like this?

I have my cougar in the basement. What mods u running?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2020
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  7. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    You have exactly the config I started with. I added a 970 EVO Pro 1TB as a 2nd SSD, and have 64 GB of RAM coming in the next few days to go in it (2666 but will run at 2400).

Here's the interesting thing: I run the CPU overclocked to 5.1 Ghz (-124 volts, -5 voltage offset), no overclocking on GPU (don't ever feel its worth it) and for whatever case and reason my GPU clocks at full tilt with HWInfo show: 1905mhz max, far above the 1215/1440 clocks. So far I have found no explanation on why this can bump so high, but as I write my current is bouncing between 1875 and 1905Mhz average - go figure. To be sure, when it is idle I get the normal 1215 clock, so not sure why the boost reads so much higher then stays fairly sustained, yet to get an answer on this one, might be a HWINFO bug. That being said, you can get some decent benchmarks off of it for a 2070 (Mobile).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  8. S1ammin

S1ammin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ian J's NXT Uber II with CubPilot's hall sensors. It's been so long that I dunno if either are available anymore. My Warthog stick is in a closet somewhere because there is nothing better than Ian's mod for the original Cougar stick IMHO.

RMLJD likes this.
  9. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I find that I'm pretty much always GPU limited, even at 1080p/144Hz. Currently I'm playing a lot of BL3 and RDR2 with friends, and I don't think I've ever experienced a CPU limitation. I would honestly dial back the CPU frequency and push your GPU harder.

Another point - games have the highest proportion of cache misses out of most types of workloads, so CPU frequency scaling is actually quite poor compared to something like Cinebench and other synthetics (Intel published an infographic/paper about this last year showing that the cache is only hit 50-60% of the time in games). So what you really want is more L3 cache, and/or faster memory (and lower latency).

10. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No problems with your Valve Index, or no problems with your Alienware? If the former - please share what adapter you're using and which settings/drivers.

If your laptop... that's not very helpful. Happy you haven't run into problems, but it's an objective statement to say I'm not alone in many of my troubles.