*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. S1ammin

S1ammin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had somewhat the same thoughts in choosing the 9700K over the 9900K. I knew going in that it didn't have the threading, but I am still glad I chose the 9700k. It overclocks well with a nice undervolt, runs cool'ish OC'd and I knew I was going to update my old Intel desktop with a 16 core Ryzen at some point (mission accomplished).

Now, I did get the 2080, and that said, I can't imagine not picking it over the 2070. You'll be fine with the 2070 and also have less heat to deal with, so OC the crap out of the CPU and GPU if you can!

2. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I stickered mine. Got white, worst mistake, stains. Search “stormtrooper” in this thread to find my unit’s pics.

I went all out 9900k/2080... on launch... Frankly, if I was in your shoes and you really wanted the white color (you’ve been warned) and the super cards (go for the 2080 super) ... I’d return it and wait another month...

That is unless you got a really sick discount...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2020
    jclausius and Papusan like this.
  3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    @kaworu876 Before I got this Area-51m that you see in my sig, I had another Area-51m but that one was with the 9900K, as casual user who plays games *sometimes* I am noticing 0 difference. What I am enjoying more is lower temps and higher sustained clock speeds due to the lower temps. I run @ 4.7 GHz on all cores all the time and the laptop never reaches anywhere near a throttling temperature so IMHO for gamers the 9700K is best.

4. kaworu876

kaworu876 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hearing all of that totally makes me feel better about all of this :) Thanks guys!

You're all totally right, as well. I think the 9700k + 2070 will be more than enough power, *especially* with a bit of overclocking which, as you all say, should be totally possible given how cool this thing should run :)

I actually just like the idea that it'll run on the cool side, in general. I'm so used to laptops that get so hot it feels like you could fry an egg on 'em, and those laptops are *always* the quickest to malfunction, or go bad, or 'die'. Hearing that my A51M should run very cool makes me feel like it'll be with me a long time, and I'm happy to hear that.

....Although, just thinking about that, the fact that the GPU and CPU aren't soldered to the motherboard and a permanent part of this machine really does change everything. Who knows how my machine will end up? Haha

jclausius likes this.
  5. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Bye Felicia

6. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    it's how i feel honestly... 51M overpriced, bios limited, trash. :/

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Rengsey R. H. Jr. and Fire Tiger like this.
  7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If your primary use case is work/play at the desk, then obviously desktop PC is a no-brainer, you can't jump with it on a sofa or on a train though, even packing it into a car tends to be painful. Sorry for the trivial reminder.

8. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So is anyone actually playing any games these days, if so what are you playing on your 51m?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Need for Speed Heat

alaskajoel and pathfindercod like this.
  10. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Cool, I have not played any NFS series in a longtime. I am mainly flying Digital Combat Simulator f14 module, f16 module and f18 in Persian Gulf and some COD MW in my downtime.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2020