*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Now you're cooking with gas, bro.

Let the good times roll...

2. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just from the 51m sold alone I was able to get enough stuff for both my gf and I for a desktop. OP

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

jclausius, RMLJD, Rei Fukai and 4 others like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    All I can say about that is...

You'll never look back. Like a whisper on a scream, doesn't mean a thing.

It's like blue on black...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    jclausius, Rei Fukai, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  4. KozE

KozE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

My temperatures fluctuate between 47°C up to 74°C when I am doing basic browsing on Chrome.
    When I am playing on CoD: Warzone it hits 95-100°C almost constantly, should I be any concern?
    Note that I have the Area 51M, model: i7 9700k and RTX 2080

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would be. There isn't any reason for that laptop to not be able to keep the 9700k under control. Are you overclocking ? If not then you need to do a repaste and see if that helps. Are you undervolting the CPU at all?

I don't play that particular game, but none of the games I have and or play at the moment push my 9900k past 75c, so your 9700k should be doing even better.

6. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Love my 51m rock solid. Well my desktops are also. All good

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Hi...

Yes.

Those temps will make the CPU and GPU throttle. This will impair performance.
    It probably won't cause any permanent damage to the CPU.
    It will most likely eventually kill the GPU.

Papusan likes this.
  8. KozE

KozE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My GPU temperatures aren't reaching those figures, so I am mostly concerned for my CPU..

"Those temps will make the CPU and GPU throttle."
    I actually don't experience any throttling even after intense gaming session.

Are you undervolting the CPU at all?
    I usually slightly OC my CPU (see screenshot below), I've also attached my GPU settings.

Attached Files:

9. kaworu876

kaworu876 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, it seems the actual and real arrival time of my laptop is set to be tomorrow, at some point in time. Which is cool! I am truly excited, and given that I am living in Los Angeles right now, during the Time of Coronavirus, the timing for this laptop getting here just... could not POSSIBLY be better. It's pretty gods-darn boring sheltering in place at home, and having this new laptop will like, drastically increase my quality of life during this 'quarantine' time. I can play better and newer games at the highest settings, and I will have a newer, bigger, and much higher quality screen to enjoy it all on. Not to mention no more annoying inch-width bezel below the screen (the one design aspect of my current AW15 R2 that I truly do not like).

I have to admit that since I've been posting here, I have had a certain degree of uh... buyer's remorse? Not in buying the Area-51m in the first place, no - I'm having the opposite of 'Buyer's Remorse' about that. I mean about the way that I spec'd my machine when I ordered it on the Dell page. I'm starting to think I really should have just splurged a *little* bit more on the higher-quality parts, particularly since I had that generous 17% discount to work with at the time during which I ordered it.

For one thing, I was not aware that the i7-9700k did not have multi-threading - I mean, the reason I did not upgrade it to the i9 was specifically because I thought any gains were more or less negligible since at a glance the overall specifications look very similar if you're unaware of the lack of multi-threading in the i7-9700k. I am a pretty decent hand when it comes to sizing up this sort of thing and making a good purchase, but it was frustrating to learn that I did not have the accurate picture when I made that decision.

However, learning a bit more about the benchmarking, it actually seems as if the i7-9700k actually outperforms the i9-9900 processor - which is the processor that costs +$100 to upgrade to, and the one I think I would have gotten if I'd understood what was going on with the threading. I think when I originally spec'd it, I saw that the base speed of the i9-9900 was lower than that of the i7-9700k, while the i9-9900k seemed to be almost the same as the i7-9700k, but for $350 more - which seemed like a lot for what appeared to be such a miniscule difference in performance. I figured that the difference had more to do with overclocking and potential performance and that it wasn't worth it to shell out $350 for a difference in max-processing power that I probably wouldn't need, so I stuck with the i7-9700k and saved the money.

Obviously my reasoning was misinformed and erroneous for the most part - because I just didn't grasp the truth about the (lack of) multi-threading. That said, I think I actually might have made the right decisions, nevertheless? From what I can tell, the i7-9700k actually does outperform the i9-9900, doesn't it? Seems to be the case in the benchmarks I saw. And of course, the i9-9900k is a bigger upgrade than I thought it was, but I think it's probably more processing power than 'm really gonna need for my purposes, and I probably was better off just saving my money. Do you guys think this is true?

I've also got a certain degree of remorse over choosing the RTX 2070 as my GPU.... especially since I learned that, like, some 'super' version of the 2070 and the 2080 are coming out soon that are like as much as 50% better? Makes me REALLY feel like I should have just dropped the extra $450 on the RTX 2080. I sort of figured, when I made the purchase, that going from the 2060 to the 2070 model was the TRULY important jump to make. The fact that the 2070 was the "alienware recommendation" made me think that it was absolutely good enough; and maybe it is? I sincerely, truly hope the 2070 is good enough and the differences between it and the 2080 will not be immediately extremely evident.

Oh, and at the time I was worried a bit more about the amount of cash I was ultimately spending on it, as I did not know then we'd be getting an economic stimulus check that'd more than cover any slightly over-the-top expenses. I think if I could go back, I'd get the 2080 without a moment of hesitation, and maybe even the i9-9900k.

Should I just stop worrying? Is the i7-9700k and the RTX 2070 probably gonna be more than enough?

edit: OH! Also I am TOTALLY regretting going for the "Dark Side of the Moon" color rather than "Lunar Light"! I chose the black one because I had heard in a review that the owner, who had gotten the white Lunar Light one, was wishing like hell he had gotten the black one because apparently EVERY last speck of dust or the tiniest scratch is highly visible on the white, along with like... heat stains or any kind of stain, or wear and tear.... But I have not heard that from ANYONE else and most people seem to like the white one more.... I realized that I actually might like the white one more...

I don't think it truly freakin' matters, though.... Anyone know if you can safely put stickers on it, or maybe reskin it with vinyl or something i dunno?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  10. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Let me help you think about this in a better light.... a 9700+2070 runs very cool in comparison to a 9900K+2080, or 9900K+2070 even. You won't miss the hyperthreading for gaming I assure you, and the 9700K is a _good_ processor believe it or not despite the lack of hyperthreading unless you are doing serious graphics work or running lots of programs at once not just idle. There is some loss of frame rate stability for games which would use HT, but not so much you would most times ever notice. A small bonus is the 9700K is unaffected by Intel nerfs for HT vulnerabilities....

The 2080 is on average 15% faster than the 2070, in a few cases 30% but rarely, in a few rare cases the 2070 beats the 2080 at a given resolution. Some good videos on it on YT comparing them out.

If it really bothers you, consider this: the DGFF cards for the Area 51M will probably fall in prices over time, certainly if a compatible 3xxx-series set of cards arrives. Also, 9900K chips will be plentiful for some time, and prices will fall. You have a very good machine, benchmark it and you will see, it beats probably 90% of what's out there...