*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Still didn't work while trying to view it from the forum but when I copy/pasted the URL in my browser and it opened the full YouTube site it worked. How did this happen?

@Papusan was just saying that these fans are meant to be working for the life of the laptop

2. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They aren't open today I believe

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

3. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Was probably a dud from the factory. I had a bad PSU fan on the first desktop I ever built. Rattled from the time I bought it and one day stopped rattling... it had stopped spinning entirely. :confused:

Papusan and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Have you open up and cleaned up the fans? I use an electric dust cleaner as in the pict below.
    [​IMG]

See also... Quiet noisy computer fans with a drop of oil
    Have 6 machines up. The oldest is 15 years and all of them with the orginal fans. If Dell has done cost cut it will be all over the line of components (not only MB who can't handle faster memory than 2400 and/or weak components as VRM's etc). The fans will not be an exception from this. It can also be premature failures. This isn't an abnormality as you know.

If you have followed the MSI forum around the web you can see that MSI used low quality fans for some of their notebooks. They often failed after/around a year or so. People was adviced to buy a spare or contact MSI before it was too late. The cost will for some be higher without a working machine a couple of days/week than buy a spare one they can have in backhand/reserve.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  5. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think I spotted it’s on a cooler right?

Forcing air into the laptop could cause undesired side effects... from the electric standpoint as well as mechanical! Who knows... like others I’m thinking it likely has to do with it plain failing prematurely

Papusan and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    It would be logical to assume they are meant to. But, nothing is 100% failure proof. Even if their QC were excellent there would be exceptions.

What we don't know is whether Dell actually provisioned high quality fans or went with the cheapest crap they could find to save money on production costs. We would need to see the manufacturer specs to know what kind of decisions were made.
    Unfortunately, I have never seen a stock laptop cooler with fans powerful enough to provide a meaningful improvement. For that same reason it is also unlikely using a cooler would cause any harm. The movement of air is so slow and gentle that it usually can barely be felt. However, even a minor increase could accelerate the accumulation of dust and lint under certain operating conditions if a filter is not used to capture the crud. If a filter is used, I would anticipate enhanced conditions using the cooler, as the laptop would be ingesting less trash using the cooler due to the filtering.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Darkhan and Papusan like this.
  7. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    As a Lexus owner which gets slightly higher ratings for quality over "regular Toyota", no matter how good a maker is, some defects will occur. I had some issues with my car that were unusual (one quarter had a manufacturing issue), but the vendor stood by it and resolved it. Dell sort of falls in here on both sides...

One the negative side, a real ball-buster like the throttling fix are a sign of bad manufacturer. If they raise the Draconian thermal limit to at least 83' that's .... something. The 2666 memory acting as 2400 is disappointing, but in the grand scheme of things not really that big a deal for most folks, but its annoying...

On the positive side, Dell still _will_ come to your home or work if possible (you might have to ask them though) and will repeat the process until its fixed (likely) or you cry uncle (unlikely).

Game laptops are like sports cars; sexy high performance appliances with their inevitable quirks, few models are purely free of some issue. I have heard of 250K cars with real issues... imagine that.... and we are surprised at the laptop issues on designs that always occur on some level. Too many people make their first foray into buying a gaming laptop without understanding the realities these designs always bring with them. It doesn't excuse the issues but it does make them more..... understandable (but no less annoying). Thankfully, like car forums, the community here has some regulars that help folks out or provide advice that I recall from even from my first AW laptop in 2010 - Mr. Fox, Papusan (my God those nutty icons lol I remember from then) and a few others that at every stage helped alleviate Dell's missteps as best they can.

I guess what I am saying is, its a tricky game with these things, all models have issues on some level which sometimes I think people often forget, thankfully we have folks to help with the issues on here, but all things will have issues sooner or later, but keep it in perspective.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Papusan, RMLJD, uugui shi and 2 others like this.
  8. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is annoying as hell

Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Gotta love that care package!

10. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Goodbye 51M it was fun. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

jclausius, RMLJD, Rei Fukai and 7 others like this.