*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This! Anyone notice during repastes that the fan enclosures are sealed/closed/not open-able?

It just begs for dust to go in there and begin to settle...

I think I’ll likely eventually use a very fine and soft pipe cleaner to put it through the heatsink/fan area

2. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm prob going to open it up today and see what's going on... I really do not Wana contact dell. I'm definitely going to sell this off if this is still happening... Thinking desktop at this point

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Papusan and etern4l like this.
  3. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I hear it . Might be a bit if plastic or paper. I had a grinding/ screeching back in the day when I had a fan go from bearings.

4. pan0phobik

pan0phobik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it possible for this update to have come right out the box though? Because this issue has been present since day 1. We’ve never seen this laptop perform without this problem. The initial out of box windows setup was even impacted.

Checked and this update isn't intsalled

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  5. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    unless you were connected to the internet during the initial setup then no it must be something else. If you were connected to the internet during the initial setup wizard, then Windows would have downloaded any updates and installed them right away whilst you are in the setup welcome setup wizard.

pan0phobik likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I am sorry that I am unable to provide any suggestions relating to this. I haven't owned a system that supports it in ages, and the last one I did was an Alienware. I refused to use it because there was no value in it. It reduced performance. I disabled the BIOS options relating to it (with an unlocked BIOS that allowed me to) so there were no entries in Device Manager complaining about not having a driver installed.

Back in the day when I was experimenting with it to determine whether or not it offered anything of value, I can vaguely remember something along the lines that the only Intel DPTF that would work was the one provided by Alienware. It was probably seven years ago now that I decided it was a waste of time, so my recollection may not be 100% accurate.

Neither my desktop nor my turdbook support Intel DPTF, and neither did my previous desktop or the Clevo laptops that preceded it, so I have no need for the drivers and no recent experience to draw from. To be honest, I was not even aware that Intel DPTF technology was still being used today. As far as I know, it only applies to laptops, and all of the Google searching mostly turns up links relating to laptops and problems people are encountering with it with the latest versions of Windows 10. It seems that Intel hasn't published a lot of detail about it. It may be that the use of it is so limited that Intel only provides drivers to the laptop OEMs and Micro$lop.

Edit: I just checked Device Manager on my turdbook and confirmed there is nothing present for Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework.

Going back to your question... why? If nothing is broken or malfunctioning, just leave it alone. Newer doesn't mean better. More often than not in today's world, the opposite is actually true.

Be smart, like a Fox. [​IMG] If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    RMLJD, jclausius, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  7. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Just curious, what's the issue with Dell Support - you paid for it, do they not come to where you are?

8. Sup3rKillaX

Reputations:
    I'm like.... Really pissed right now....

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

9. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I can see that...

2020-03-23_022123.png

Papusan likes this.
  10. Sup3rKillaX

Reputations: