*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Deuteronomy93

Deuteronomy93 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @pan0phobik You're experiencing exactly the same things as me from how it sounds.

In terms of the USB, I recreated the drive itself at least 5 or 6 times without it working, along with creating the BIOS with different versions dozens of times. I put a full list of every individual step I took here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/official-alienware-area-51m-owners-lounge.826831/page-1919

@Fire Tiger This was what I thought might be the issue but admittedly amongst all the confusion, frustration and different methods I went through, I'm not sure if I actually ended up doing this..
    @Spartan So in order to do this, are you going into the BIOS every time it resets or just the first time after recovering?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  2. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    You mean in order to disable Firmware Capsule updates? Off-course only once after the BIOS was flashed and I never look at it again.

3. uugui shi

uugui shi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes I did and unfortunately it did not work, my problem was that sometimes the windows store couldn't update one specific app and kept crashing , as I said not too big of a problem but annoying considering that I use that app a lot. Hopefully it will not be the same with the A51m when it arrives

4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox

Does the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver contain anything particular to a specific laptop in terms of thermals and when the fans spin up or it's just a general driver?

I'm asking because the one listed on the Area-51m Drivers page is ancient and there is a much newer one on the Alienware 13 R3 drivers page. Can I use that instead? Is it like a general Intel Chipset driver where you can update?

5. Korben_Dallas

Korben_Dallas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think Papusan won't be happy that you install intel dptf :p

Papusan likes this.
  6. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This solution literally worked. Like whaaaat?! Lol, this is the most random steps ever that I would have never thought to do but go figure.... https://www.reddit.com/r/CODWarzone/comments/flbb47/pc_crash_warzone_fix_its_finally_gone/

"1." First thing I did was Launch the game, immediately after launching, I browsed to my Modern Warfare Install folder (ex:C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty Modern Warfare) and renamed "ModernWarfare.exe" and "Modern Warfare Launcher.exe" to "ModernWarfare1.exe" and "Modern Warfare Launcher1.exe” (others have confirmed you don’t need to rename Launcher) CUZ WHY THE FUK NOT

"2." Second thing I did after installing, went to "Display Settings" -> Scroll to bottom -> Graphic Settings -> Classic App - > Browse to Modern Warfare Install Folder and Select ModernWare1.exe -> Once Added, highlight it and select "Options" -> Select "High Performance" and Save. Did the same for Modern Warfare Launcher cuz at this point I will do anything. MAKES FUKING SENSE TO DO THIS SO THE GAME PRIORITIZES GPU BEFORE CPU. (Just to note: doing only step 2 without step 1 continued my crashing)

Virale likes this.
  7. pan0phobik

pan0phobik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    does the USB’s file system matter?

8. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    Mine is FAT

For those of you who have the LG 173WFG 17.3" FHD screen, here is the Spyder5Elite Color Calibrated profile:

Download LG 173WFG.icm

2020-03-21_202555.png

PS: I don't like the calibrated profile, it's a bit too warm/pinkish for my taste. Just letting you know.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    Jhort likes this.
  9. kaworu876

kaworu876 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys - out of curiosity, do you all know what sort of panel I will be getting on my Area-51M? I mean, I got the highest-quality one with eye-tracking, g-sync, etc.... The display is seriously, deeply important to the laptop, given that it's the part you are looking at almost the entire time you're using it... A laptop with a crappy panel is generally a pretty crappy laptop, and one worries about these things. From what I've read, seems like I will end up with the LG17WFG 17.3" display, which is the one that fits the calibration... Is that a particularly good panel?

Like, on this Alienware 15 R2, I have an utterly and totally *awful* display panel - it is a LGD04B9 for reference and if this forum allowed vulgarity, I would use a large number of extremely colorful phrases to describe what a piece of garbage it is and how utterly inadequate and unimpressive it was given a laptop of its strength. There is a reason why I *always* hook this up to an external monitor if I ever possibly can.

The display is just... Even with a good calibration, even on max brightness - it looks dim, drab dull and dreary... Not to mention dismal, dark, dusky and *dingy*. I could go on, but the point is hopefully made :) It may SHOCK you to know that Dell was using the same panel for it's cheapo Inspiron 15-inch model at the time. *rolls eyes*

So yeah, give me some good news (I could SERIOUSLY use some) and let me know if the LG173WFG is a *good* high quality panel. And that Dell isn't being cheap with this laptop and sticking some piece of crap on there - like they did with the current laptop I paid nearly $2k for (see sig) and it is a powerful and high-functioning laptop about which I have had no other real complaints aside from the panel quality. And even the panel, low-quality is, has held up very well over the years and been well taken care of, so it is still without a scratch or dent or dead pixel - I suppose that is something.

Um, otherwise I am just still (im)patiently waiting for this badass new laptop to arrive. I am so glad that I will have like... at least a project of SOME sort - upgrading and working on my laptop, overclocking it, getting the right parts, getting it all set up properly. It's a fun thing to dweeb out about, and I love being a bit of a nerd about it, I mean, I want to play awesome games at awesome settings, and it would be so cool to play like FPS games like Wolfenstein/Doom (the remakes) and NOT have the screen being like.... choppy and laggy and weird whenever I look around the room or a bunch of enemies are around. My understanding is that G-SYNC kinda fixes this, yes? I'll believe it when I see it, but I almost cannot imagine an experience THAT nice, or awesome.

Oh, also - waiting for this laptop is like... really freaking difficult! :( The tough part is how much they tease you with various dates to tease you! Actually, it feels like they give you LESS information now than they used to, like I remember they would have it "in production" as a status, and now it just goes from "ordered" to "shipping", ah well.

Alienware initially had April 1st as my arrival date, which worried me greatly as I loathe April Fools Day. But then it shipped out on Wednesday, as I said, and the UPS tracking page said it would get here on

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  10. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So thankfully I had a restore point from a few days ago and that got Windows Store/Apps working again.

Now I'm just stuck trying to get SupportAssist working again. If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it.

I've uninstalled it along with all remnants in the registry but reinstalling it doesn't seem to work. I've tried older versions as well.