*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    From cold, first start and setting everything System and Extreme, except going 1600x900 screen resolution: 4251
    Previously I had System screen which seemed to cover 99%(Left side off and bottom right corner could not see bottom of box created)
    System screen: 3298

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    etern4l likes this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ah, 4250, i.e. +30% vs my 2070MQ. That's more like it. I assume your 2080 is running on stock settings, so you should be able to squeeze more performance out of it using MSI Afterburner?

3. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Cleaning out closets in prep for new hardwood flooring and found it in the office

I loved this thing. You are 100% right. great games. Had a challenging chess cart for it. And a cool "space war" style grid game. I miss them.

Of course my business case to the boss was productivity...

Lopt, Atticus8817 and Donald@zTecpc like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Here is one new for you:) Remember, many don't post what happened with their graphics(as well not always easy find the threads/posts). And not all post on the web:) They just call out Dell tech support to replace it.
    upload_2020-3-12_4-8-49.png
    https://www.aw-community.com/forum/...-owners-lounge/?do=findComment&comment=116487

5. S1ammin

S1ammin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow, the last three weeks of posts from here have been so depressing that I was forced to update my tower (Power Station circa Intel 3930K/Rage IV) rig to AMD Aorus Master/AMD 3950 guts.

Granted, my 'old' rig only had an EVGA 1080 Ti Hybrid, in many ways, this A-51M does more than hold its own. And surpasses my AMD Beast rig (almost - since only 1080 Ti Hybrid). Granted, not apples to apples, but from my experience so far, the A-51 retains the Beast DTR title in my experience

Normimb, Terreos and RMLJD like this.
  6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Technology keeps advancing at a relentless pace. We should view this with excitement, rather than apprehension or sorrow, although it's easy to see why depreciation of earlier tech, upgrade costs and perhpaps inability of vendors to stay on the bleeding edge can indeed be a little depressing.

If A51M or any laptop has enough power to satisfy your needs - great, otherwise no worries either since you can upgrade your desktop to a Ryzen 9 3900K (a whopping +50% faster than the 9900K), or plunge all the way into the 32 core Threadripper performance madness.

Happy days (if not for the virus etc)!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    S1ammin and Fire Tiger like this.
  7. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    A lot of the negative post comes from people that don’t even own notebook and have seem to made it their life mission to corona virus it to death.

IXVIXXII, RMLJD, Tim V. and 4 others like this.
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Brilliant analogy! The novel coronavirus is asymptomatic to mild in most cases, and most of the population will get infected at some point. It can only hope to kill in case of serious underlying issues. If no such issues exist, there is pretty much no need to worry for the notebook.

RMLJD, pathfindercod and c69k like this.
  9. Atticus8817

Atticus8817 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is your daily reminder that it has been 417 days (Nearly 1 year and 2 months) since the Area 51m US release date and not a single peep has been made about an R2.

As someone who has been on lockdown in China for the past 2 months and has had a *LOT* of extra time on their hands to obsess over and scrounge for any clue at all about this, I am distressed af.

Going to America in July and hoping to GOD that a refresh releases before then. Doubtful, but I’m holding out hope.

etern4l and Fire Tiger like this.
  10. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    So I got one of those “Reminders” not to miss out on the current Alienware sale. Now I didn’t think much of it. . .but why does this Area 51m have a card reader? I’m thinking it’s just a mistake in the render. Or maybe the R2 is getting a card reader? 546BC40C-178C-4F8C-884D-2FD1AF76CB05.jpeg