*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Tim V.

Tim V. Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If you're not experienced I would definitely go with PopOS (based on Ubuntu 19.10) from System76 for now. That way everything will be done for you. With an older LTS release you will have to jump through hoops to get the Killer wireless running among other things. I would also research things like: changing from Raid to AHCI in your bios and creating and creating a 512GB EFI system partition to install the boot loader (GRUB) on.

Ubuntu will come out with a new LTS release later this year and Mint mentioned by @Greel will be coming out with version 20 about the same time.

Hear is a a good video about changing from Raid to AHCI without having to reinstall Windows (I can verify this method):

Enjoy your new 51m...

Lopt, iunlock, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  2. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  3. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Did the switch from RAID to AHCI, its was a no-brainer when I added a 2nd Samsung 970 Evo Plus....

Tim V. likes this.
  4. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Heaven Bench Stock 110320.PNG Are people using Basic Heaven benchmark to get scores?
    I am Windows 10 PRO why it saying NT?

I installed and on stock with High Performance power and Thermal Performance set on GPU.
    Have rear of base of laptop off the mat via 1cm cutter pen to allow airflow.

It completed a Heaven cycle in System Full screen and GPU hit 71 degrees?
    Is this good bad or ugly?

Benchmarking hit 73 degrees...Second time hit 74 is that throttled?

Should I run longer?
    Any settings to tweak on laptop or Heaven?

This review with lesser specs got higher scores? Edit: He has set Quality to HIGH not ULTRA?
    https://www.gizbot.com/laptop/revie...on-laptop/articlecontent-pf102974-060010.html
    Edit 2: 300 points less than his result when set on High?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  5. Atticus8817

Atticus8817 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Here’s what Umar had to say about the links for the Dell Graphics Upgrade Kits being down:

“Yeah I got info. Sorry yesterday was nuts. They took it down but are gonna bring it back up in a couple of days. There was an issue about missing AC Adapters they were remedying.”

MogRules, Docsteel and Tim V. like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Because they have defined what that means to them for the unique purpose of marketing, without having to disclose their definition at the point of offering a sales pitch, they can lie all they want to and use their special definition as a means of skirting false advertisement accusations. Whenever they want to lie about something new they just create a new definition for the things they are planning to lie about. When their integrity is questioned by the people that believed their lies, then they disclose their special definition.
    Maybe. But, you'd have to borrow a Clevo to do it because Thaiphoon Burner won't work on a Dell or Alienware. Their Nazi cancer firmware doesn't have any option to turn off the SPD Write Disable flag. After all, making that available is extremely dangerous and they love their customers way too much to allow them make any decisions about how they get to use the products they purchase.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  7. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

RMLJD, Donald@zTecpc and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I used to carry one of those, I had almost every model Palm made at one time or another the Color model was amazing the games were great, it was my iPhone before there was an iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RMLJD and Donald@zTecpc like this.
  9. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    :hi:ok guys. I sold my unit with stock cpu these days and leave the owner lounge now. See ya all at R2 release. :hi:

ssj92, Virale, RMLJD and 4 others like this.
  10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks low. Got 3250 on default extreme settings (1600x900) on 2070 Max-Q while Web browsing with a lot of tabs. Your result is at a higher res though, maybe that's why - try the default Extreme setting.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020