*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Maybe in the future (And I don't talk about before we pass 2025). And for small items, a lot smaller than the heatsink we have today. And will Dell swallow the increased cost? https://www.electropages.com/blog/2...oved-boron-arsenide-defect-free-semiconductor

Edit. See also

Boron arsenide has been proposed as a material for solar cell fabrication,[10][15] although it is not currently used for this purpose.

An ab initio theory has predicted that the thermal conductivity of cubic BAs is remarkably high, over 2,200 W/(m·K) at room temperature, which is comparable to that of diamond and graphite.[16] Subsequent measurements yielded a value of only 190 W/(m·K) due to high density of defects. See... Small defects in quality will put the thermal conductivity down to the half of what copper is able to handle.
    So the ultimate fix is downclock Cpu?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  2. belarusrulez

belarusrulez Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice video.
    I did re paste today and still getting 100C on CPU. Was thinking I did something wrong but it looks like it's common problem :)
    BTW gpu became much lower. I see around 1900 at 75-56C

3. S1ammin

S1ammin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Halifax, I meant to "quote" you on my last post.

4. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Apple ii+ with 48Kb memory playing Karateka on a green screen monitor (no color) using floppy disks that stored 140Kb on each one.

Food for thought/debate on the 51M R2:
    If it turns out that the 9700 was a better thermal "fit" for the 51M R1's abilities (maybe or maybe not but that's the supposition for the moment)

Might it actually be wiser for folks to aim for the I7 10700K instead of the 10900K? This is sort of a will the binning of the I9 benefit confined space users better than the 8 cores which should really be plenty for years to come?

I can kind of see it either way but having seen how well the 9700 did even though they were both rated for the same 95W has me wondering if we shouldn't avoid the absolute high end knowing what we learned with the R1.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2020
    Lopt likes this.
  5. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No, this is not the ultimate fix. This is just a quick fix on how to get the thermals in check right out the box just using the provided Alienware Command Center tool.
    The ultimate fix is to put the clocks back to 5.0Ghz on 2 cores down to 4.7GHz on all cores, play more with the undervolting and change the PL1 & PL2 settings to better control the power draw. (Exactly the same way that Clevo did on the P775: PL2 - 118W; PL1 - 95W). Those AVX instruction can really cook the CPU.

I plan to make another video showing this much more in-depth.

Cheers!

MogRules, sasman1964, S1ammin and 3 others like this.
  6. belarusrulez

belarusrulez Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Waiting for it :)

7. sasman1964

sasman1964 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My Area 51m hopefully will delivered tomorrow :) How can i tell if it has the latest revision Motherboard

Fire Tiger likes this.
  8. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Someone please tell me how to limit this dam temp of this 2080 gpu it's going crazy high like 85c and I just want to tell it after like 80c to chill out.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

9. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Afterburner, undervolt.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

10. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello again :)

I've done the follow-up video in which I talk a bit more in-depth on how to tweak the CPU so you can keep the boost up to 5.0Ghz on first cores and 4.7Ghz on all cores while applying the required undervolts and how you can tweak this a bit further by changing the PL1 & PL2 values, using XTU and Cinebench R15/R20 as the stress bench. Obviously this was done in mind with keeping the CPU far from the 100 Celsius thermal throttle limit:

I did not have a script nor did I rehears anything for this video. I just sat down and talked about it along the way.
    I did spot some obvious mistakes in the video (me saying 8 cores instead of 6, which was obvious and constantly talking about Wattage instead of Power - that is measured in Watts).

I am also very sorry about the length of the video. I tried to show as much as possible on how you should approach the situation and for what reason, how to stress test the CPU and what to think of doing next.
    For the record, this video shows the absolute WORSE case scenario of load your CPU can sustain. Unless you are doing heavy video editing you will never see these power draws / thermals / lower clocks due to power caps in games or other applications.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions please do let me know!
    Cheers