*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. belarusrulez

belarusrulez Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everybody :D

I am new here and also new in all this overclocking/making hardware work topic.
    Got mine Alienware Area-51M last week. It's 2080 + i9-9900. I bought it refublished on ebay and trying to understand in what shape did I get it.
    I went tru last 100 pages of this topic and was trying to resolve my questions by myself but can't say that I was really successful with this :D

Whenever I just got laptop It was doing super cool and I did stress test. It was 94.8% FPS stability. (didn't pass but close)
    I started from clean win 10 with no dell applications installed at all. I installed/updated Alianware Command Center and installed ton of applications it was asking me to install (have no clue what they do).

Now my stress test only 38.5% FPS stability

There is comparison of this tests https://www.3dmark.com/compare/tsst/915142/tsst/914051

I was not changing bios versions any hardware any configurations and so on. Only updated Alianware Command Center and installed all software it was asking for ...
    How can it be?
    I checked what is going on using GPU-Z.2.29.0 and it looks like now I hit 78C my GPU clock goes to 300. How was it not hitting the same issue before ....

In addition to this performance question:
    1. How to understand what display do I have (Chi Mei or not)? I found this in System Configuration using Dell service tag but I have no idea how to figure out what one is it. "GNMGM : Module,Cable,Embedded Display Port,Full High Definition,144H Z,GSYNC,17"
    2. I am thinking to change CPU from i9-9900 to i9-9900K. Does it make any sense?
    3. How to program keys on the left and keys on top of num pad?
    4. What software to use to record temps and performance of cpu/gpu during game in real time? GPU-Z graph is not informative at all.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  2. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Some etiquette - you need to show some initiative for research on these items:

1. Google it.
    2. Not unless you want to Overclock it, costwise, I wouldn't.
    3. Google it.
    4. Google it.

Not saying that to be mean or anything, but 3/4 of these you can answer in quick searches, and people will respect you for it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  3. Desertf0x9

Desertf0x9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You know with people flashing higher wattage 2070 max q and 2080 max q to their lower wattage I wonder if anyone has tried flashing desktop 2070 or 2060 with the 2070 or 2060 in the area 51m.

4. belarusrulez

belarusrulez Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for super informative respond :)

pathfindercod likes this.
  5. jc_denton

jc_denton V̖̟en̰g̻̼̰̩͙ea̲n̪c̭e̼ ͍̘̤͓̟̤Is̙͔ ̤Mi̻̭̣͎͍ͅn̰ḙ

Reputations:
    I'd purge all the applications that are not system critical, it's useless bloat otherwise.
    1. Get hwinfo64, it's a great portable tool for inspecting hardware such as installed panel etc.
    2. Depends, do you need extra CPU performance and plan on overclocking? Then it might be.
    3. Likely in the Alienware Control Center
    4. hwinfo64 and run it as 'sensors only' - gives you an overlook over various voltages, frequencies and states. Or MSI Afterburner.

6. belarusrulez

belarusrulez Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you. just for test I reinstalled windows from scratch and that's what I have now:
    https://www.3dmark.com/compare/tsst/915395/tsst/915142/tsst/914051
    It's back to "normal" even without latest drivers and all other software.

I've done test with HWiNFO64 (thx for advice) it shows max GPU Clock 1890 with max temp 75C. So it looks like it basically under perform and never hit 78C mark.

jc_denton likes this.
  7. ahanganu

ahanganu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hello everyone,

I seem to find myself in a bit of trouble. I've finally gotten around to repasting the machine, no hiccups there. Followed multiple yt clips, disassembled, cleaned the old paste, placed in the new thermal pads, assembled back. Did not remove the CPU from its cradle.

After starting it again the screen is completely dark and the machine seems to be stuck in a rainbow bios start light show. The power button seems to light up amber two times for a second for every 10 seconds. it doesn't seem to match any diagnostic code from the dell service manual, which says a white blink should follow to indicate a failure.

Battery is connected as it's lighting up on it too. Any ideas? At this point the only thing I could do is repeat the process, could it be from the thermal pads or rather I haven't perfectly fitted in some wires?

8. ahanganu

ahanganu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am not sure what could have been, but after a second disassembly and putting it back together again it started from first run. My bet would be on a cable jack or a component not being fully put in.

gonna do some thermal testing now to see if I haven't actually made it worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoneSyndal likes this.
  9. jc_denton

jc_denton V̖̟en̰g̻̼̰̩͙ea̲n̪c̭e̼ ͍̘̤͓̟̤Is̙͔ ̤Mi̻̭̣͎͍ͅn̰ḙ

Reputations:
    You could try and undervolt the GPU with MSI Afterburner, locking it to around 0.950mV and see how your frequency and temperatures behave.

Are the new thermalpads the same thickness/hardness as the old ones? Could be pressure difference on components making it behave oddly.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. sasman1964

sasman1964 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for that..I have just made the Order for Area 51m RTX 2080 i9 9900k 16 Gb 1Tb ..I hope i get the newer MotherBoard version . i was holding out but £650 off is to good to miss..

Fire Tiger likes this.