*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sad that Clevo didnt design their new ones before the 51m. Otherwise I have no plans to change out for several years since advancements will be quite small until breakthroughs happen in displaytech and thermals.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2020
    Docsteel, lestat2k7 and Fire Tiger like this.
  2. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I had 5 Dell and turned manual support and assist..... Left data vault C and P on auto...

Fire Tiger likes this.
  3. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think that should do the trick.

I've just checked and I have 5 as well, which I stopped and set to manual. I think if you've stopped and set the Data Vault Service API to manual the C and P entries should be fine left as they are.

4. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Does anyone here use a thunderbolt laptop dock? I've been trying to find a hub that supports a 144hz gsync ultra wide at 3k res, a normal 60hz 1440p monitor, several USB peripherals, and ethernet to solve my first world problem of having to reconnect 8+ cables every time I take my a51m away from my desk but it seems like such a thing doesn't exist?

5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Chi Mei is a Tiwanese firm and the worlds 2nd largest display manufacturer. They supply to Samsung, Sharp, Asus, LG, and pretty much every other electronics firm out there. They are not well known in the west as many are usually rebrands through the above mentioned.

Their level of quality if fine, and like every manufacturer, have different offerings and different price levels to match the quality

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  6. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    I'd wait and see how the cooling in the x170 actually manages to cool the 8 core 14nm parts before singing it's praises. As for the 10 core, it might not be supported, since the slides leaked came out 6 months ago. That was before public was made aware that 10 core parts would draw around 300W of power and had motherboard vendors worried.

7. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Its actually a good panel and they do make good panels for a LARGE part of the market..

8. lestat2k7

lestat2k7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How do you guys figure out how much cooling capacity a laptop have vs the power it needs and the heat it will generate? Right now when I judge a laptop in this aspect, I only base it off the thickness and the visible exhaust ports and how much capacity its power adapter(s) have, and compare it with the similar specced top end machines like if something like asus proart studio book one has powerful components and only comes with a single 330W power adapter, I doubt its potential as I know many powerful laptops come with 2 of those, etc.

Is there a better way to formulate these?

9. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    I think you are on point - if they actually _do_ go through with an 83' limit, how much better will this be in reality for 2080 owners do you think?

10. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If anyone is interested I made a video running Wolfenstein: Youngblood with RTX and DLSS on the Alienware Area 51m.
    This is with current 1.7.3 bios and the 1.0.0.5(180W) vBios.
    The CPU has been undervolted and the GPU is overclocked and with a custom curve.
    Fans were on Balanced Mode (that is correct! Not Performance or Full Speed).
    The thermals are seen in MSI Afterburner Overlay for the whole run.

Now, I help but wonder, why couldn't Dell/Alienware tweak the default profiles for the CPU (Did you know that AWCC is using XTU profiles internally? That's why is overriding between reboots what we set in XTU). They could have done the same for the GPU with an MSI Afterburner approach for the voltage/frequency curve.

I am amazed how good the thermals are in the laptop if the CPU doesn't start drawing 160W constantly and the GPU doesn't boost to insane +2000Mhz on core.

I hope you enjoy the video:)
    Cheers!