*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. lestat2k7

lestat2k7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello guys, is it possible to buy this laptop with 9900KS and 2070 not 2080? I only need the speed of 2070. I didn't see this option from Hidevolution only 9700 with 2070. Any ideas?

Also does 9900K/S with 2070 still have throttling problems? Or is this only with the 2080 version?

Also people are saying you can buy 90W version or 110(?) desktop or the maxq version of the gfx card. I never seen that option. Can you specify that?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Talk with Donald at HIDevolution and ask him if he has i9-9900KS available right now.
    you will have no issues with RTX 2070 that I have heard of, as for the RTX card you get what Dell / Alienware offers as far as I know it's the same as a Desktop RTX only mounted on special Dell /Alienware card to fit into the Area51m, I am not aware of any wattage version choices for them for Area51m.

Sorry if some of that is my fault, I really do like the Area51m it's great for what it is, I am really just more disappointed with Alienware / Dell, it's SO CLOSE to being the dream machine I just get frustrated with them for not spending a few more dollars and a little more time to finish it. I think it was rushed a little, but it's still a great machine.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2020
    lestat2k7 likes this.
  3. lestat2k7

lestat2k7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot if you check their website, for 2070, they don't offer 9900K/S, only 9700, not sure why this is but I would rather put the difference in money to other components like RAM.

Would this have to be a custom order through email? Seems strange to me they dont offer it on the website.

4. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Donald is awesome and he will work with you I spoke with him on the phone as well as in email, I am pretty sure if they have it they will build it for you whether it's one of their listed builds or not. They did a great job for me and I can recommend them.

lestat2k7, Papusan and jc_denton like this.
  5. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So it’s only the Chi Mei screens that lose G-sync on lower FW?

What’s the best BIOS and VBIOS to be on except for 1.5.0 and 1.0.0.3, throttle-wise?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  6. uugui shi

uugui shi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, this has probably been asked already, but is it a stupid idea to buy an area 51m i9 9900k/RTX2080 but with minimum RAM and Storage so that I can buy my own and change them when it arrives?
    I was planning on buying 2x16GB DDR4 such as these and 2x500GB evo 970 (I would prefer not to have them in RAID0) and add a 2TB Firecuda SSHD that I already own later, the price difference from dell would be substantial.
    Thanks in advance

Virale likes this.
  7. gr33n2

gr33n2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Only the Chi Mei. If you have the LG or AUO, you can use any BIOS and continue to use G-sync. External monitors are not affected either. Personally using 1.5.0 and 1.0.0.3 (200W) without issue.

Not at all. I did this myself and saved about $1000 compared to what Dell wanted new. Not an issue if you don't want RAID 0, but the NVMe slots are capped out at a combined PCIe x4, so if you do go to RAID in the future, you won't see any improvements.
    You may want to hold off on buying any new RAM until there's some solid information on what's happening with RAM speeds greater than 2400MHz. Should have news on this in the coming week or two.

Virale and uugui shi like this.
  8. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Order with the two cheapest M2 so that you get two original heatsinks.

I’m hoping to not get a Chi Mei then.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2020
    Virale and uugui shi like this.
  9. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It seems that all new builds (in the last 6 months) have only Chi Mei displays. I might be mistaken but I've never seen anyone reporting other displays in the past months.

As for G-SYNC. It seems there is a bit of confusion on how to hardware and tech works. G-SYNC is not VSYNC or adaptive VSYNC or the others.
    https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/vsync-gsync-freesync-explained/

In a standard VSYNC way:
    - Your GPU will work as fast as it can headless from the display.
    - Your display would refresh constantly at xHZ (without knowing if the GPU had time to render a frame before the previous refresh).

In G-SYNC:
    - Both the display and GPU are in sync. The GPU will not render a new frame if the display doesn't have time to present it. The Display will still refresh if the GPU hasn't presented a frame, but will repeat the last frame it has received from the GPU.

As a result you get no micro-stuttering and frame pacing oddities which gives you a "butter smooth" experience no matter if you run at 40FPS or 120FPS ( the smoothness is the same).
    The best benefit of G-SYNC is when you can't maintain a stable FPS, which is what 99% happens in games when you stress the GPU (Your game renders anywhere between 45-65 FPS based on what is drawn on the screen). In standard VSYNC you run into stutters here. In GSYNC you experience zero stutters.

The best demo for this is Nvidia G-SYNC pendulum demo and enabling the "Test Pattern" option. It can be clearly seen there the diff between no VSYNC, VSYNC and G-SYNC.
    https://www.nvidia.co.uk/coolstuff/demos#!/g-sync

I think G-SYNC (and AMD's Freesync variant) are the best things that happen to the Display/GPU synchronization modes since forever :D

Cheers,
    Helifax

10. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah I can say that after I experienced gsync it has been hard to use any type of display that doesn't have it.

On a related note, I'm not sure if it's just an nvidia driver problem, a windows problem, or a Dell problem but I've got weird issues with gsync on 1.8.1 too. Namely, after I reinstall my graphics driver, windowed gsync mode works perfectly on both my Predator X34P and the A51m's screen (according to gsync indicator HUD and the nvidia pendulum demo).

But after restarting the pc, functionality is removed entirely from the a51m's screen as long as my X34P is plugged in and windowed mode ceases to function on the X34P. Gsync still works properly in full screen mode, but it's annoying to have to hit alt+enter all the time to exit full screen mode before alt tabbing (I use my pc in a way that has me alt tabbing a lot).

Anyway just a really annoying, specialized bug somewhere and there's so many points of failure that I can't be bothered to even try to find the problem. I'm guessing whatever it is happens when Windows assigns the 2080 as a device after restarting with the fresh driver package. Idk.