*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ultimately the value of this system comes down to convenience. It's more convenient (and saves more space) to carry a machine that has its keyboard and screen built right in to it and manages to match desktops in spec and performance. The alternative for those of us who need a mobile computer and enjoy playing games in their downtime would be an mATX or NUC or something, both of which come at the cost of needing to carry around a portable monitor, a keyboard, and a much heavier and more fragile machine (or in the case of a NUC, woefully incapable hardware). So regardless, for me, the A51m is still a great machine for what it is... I just wish it was made by a more reputable brand. (I am aware of the Clevo, ASUS, etc; none of them look as good nor come close to the price to performance of an A51m. The ASUS Mothership is cool as hell but lol $6000 baseline.)

Lopt, S1ammin, nightingale and 2 others like this.
  2. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah, the NUCs are great! And they have their applications! I have a few of those in a "farm" for "other tasks".
    But having a truly "laptop" form desktop to carry around (hell it is thinner and lighter than my previous Alienware laptop with 5x the performance) and being to literally do anything on it (from codding to video encoding to playing Control & Metro Exodus with RTX ON even at 1440p above 60FPS or even plug it into a 4K monitor and get almost 60FPS) This is a dream come true for me and I am sure for others as well!
    Sure, it's not perfect! Nothing in tech is! There are always "gotchas".

But even with them, I am still really impressed!

sasman1964, RMLJD, Lopt and 2 others like this.
  3. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Is the fan/heat sink differ from a 2080 setup?

4. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Not here for a war friend, just pointing out that Apple is no better at build quality or ethics than the rest.

I'll move on. Cheers.

Lopt likes this.
  5. nightingale

nightingale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have both an area51m that i gave to my father and a asus g703gxr
    i find them to be basically the same

The asus g703gxr has the same internals as the mothership but in a more "normal" form

6. S1ammin

S1ammin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am amazed at the amount of negative posts against this laptop. I totally am amazed and enjoy mine. It has totally replaced my tower with 1080Ti which runs with 4 radiators, two pumps, OC'd daily @4.6ghz for the last several years. Yes, my desktop build is long in the tooth and the last breath of life I added to it was a 1080Ti, and that was an awesome update and my tower after all these years is still a very viable machine with this 3930k CPU and Rampage IV mobo, but my A51 with 9700K/2080 just blows it out of the water in every respect.

And although, there is somewhat of a learning curve with the A51 (if you are benching), this is so true for any platform in my experience, and especially from those vendors that encourage their customers to push the limits.

AlienWare has always been building the types of rigs that those who cannot build their own this way but wish they could. I have always, and still do, salute AlienWare for doing this.

That said, I had vowed when AW first came out that I would never buy an AW rig since I already knew how to build my own, better and cheaper. But we are talking desktop systems back then.

I am impressed with this A51.

Biker Gremling and sasman1964 like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Two x two in a row. 580M burned up in the Alienwares:) Same for 675M. I'm sure you'll find many more. Bro @Mr. Fox can most likely confirm this.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-14-or-m17xr4.750970/page-2#post-9634806

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...discussion-thread.629369/page-11#post-8170776
    Not sure how much you have used Liquid metal. But I don't see this. I used Liquid metal near 4 years on my previous AW17 without need to re-apply. And neither a problem in my other machines.

Not many Heatsink that can get rid of +400W heat.
    If you have the paid version, it contain stress tests.
    upload_2020-2-9_8-2-56.png
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/download-aws.futuremark.com/3dmark-technical-guide.pdf

TECHNICAL DETAILS
    The aim of stress testing is to place a high load on the system for an extended period of time to expose any problems with stability or cooling capability. 3DMark Stress Tests work by looping a benchmark graphics test continuously without pausing for loading screens or other breaks. A Stress Test takes around 20 minutes to run when set to the default 20 loops, which is usually enough to find any significant stability or cooling issues.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    jclausius, Rei Fukai, Normimb and 3 others like this.
  8. nightingale

nightingale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Rei Fukai, Lopt and Papusan like this.
  9. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The ram is a minor issue for me, but the G-sync... why does it stop working on some screens but not all?

10. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well I tried my best with my probably naïve attempt to get AWCC to see the i9-9000KS ( don't ask me why I claim temporary insanity, I use Throttlestop so I don't need it to work I was just curios ) .

The only thing I really accomplished by editing the .json files ( copied the KS values into the K file ) was to completely hose AWCC :/

Oh well it was time to delete and reinstall AWCC anyway it was acting a little flakey before I started. It's working better then before now, and updated to ThrottleStop 8.74.

Back on BIOS 1.5.0 and 180w VBIOS and all is well with the Area51m again, Time to play some games and stop obsessing over details :)

The Chi Mei screen which I have was added to the build AFTER BIOS 1.5.0 was released so it's ID is not in the list of Gsync compatible displays that is built into the BIOS, Honestly it's a non issue - I notice no difference between having Gsync and not having it. I believe several of the folks here have said it's because of the 144hrz refresh rate, it's fast enough that you really don't see much difference if any.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2020
    RMLJD likes this.