*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. IXVIXXII

IXVIXXII Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Look here : http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ny-alienware-to-locked-lower-versions.829542/

@Virale : I guess that pretty sums it up... I love my unit, it performs really well, but you have to cheat and workaround the system to. Really a shame for such a beast.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Fire Tiger, Lopt and Virale like this.
  2. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The latest Vbios doesnt throttle at all if you are not blocking air intake or overclocking your GPU.

Please share your settings and preset and the community is willing to help you out.

Giving them a big "0" doesnt fix the issue nor help the situation. The extra 20 W wont give you a huge performance leap since Nvidia GPUs boost your Cuda Core Clocks with respect to your thermal limits.

Getting from 78C to 83C (83C is nvidia's set point) might give you at best 5-6% performance increase. The extra 20 W (200W vbios) gave me 108xxx score on timespy while the 180 W 105xxx .

Time Spy isnt a Stress Tool, only gaming sessions 1-4 hours long can you give accurate GPU performance. Actually both vbios are identical if you run games for long duration (1 hour + ) since GPU voltage and frequency will end up at the middle part of the curve (17xx-18xx Mhz) thus the extra 20 W will show only in benchmarks not in gaming.

Mine running 78C @ average 1850-1920 mhz depends on the game, a user on NBR ran metro exodus for some hours and compared the Vbios, guess what the 1.8.1 performed better!

The GPU doesnt burn out at 78C or 83C, poor ventilation and faulty VRM components are the reason or intentional vbios modification to rise voltages and consequently power limits beyond rating.

We never heard fermi or 5 series Radeon burning on Alienwares let alone Volta ( series 200)

Personally, I tested with BFV maxed out & Metro Exodus for hours and never throttle, it drops voltage and frequency accordingly.

Even the new thermal paste is excellent and dell is really trying to rectify the issues with area51m. If you really believe Clevos P7 doesnt throttle then you should really read through users experience.

Vapor chamber is already on Clevos and it didnt improve the cooling to the extend of what you think of. Most Clevo buyers Delid & apply liquid metal paste (which has a short life span compared to generic pastes) in addition to vaport chamber (a minimum of 200$ additional cost) to get 10 C cooler. at best. The new leaked heat Sink for Area51m is probably for experimenting and not for production. I looked for it in Taobao and chinese websites, if its for R2, it would be already listed there.

The 9900K runs @ 4700 Mhz on most chips on stock area51m with 100 mv under volt on average, some users got lucky with silicon and got 4900 and 5000 others with deliding got 5100, most 5000 mhz throttle like no tomorrow even and cant be cooled on air or stock fan cooling on desktops those with 9900Ks are getting worse results for the same frequency (4700 Ks performs WORSE compared to 4700K), we got a couple of Cinebench R20 benchmarks result on 9900ks that shows LOWER performance compared to 9900k (its a complete silicon lottery)

Im not a dell defender, but the area51m is one of the most impressive machines I have ever user, and I have used lot of brands !!!

Lopt, Tim V., pathfindercod and 4 others like this.
  3. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

With all due respect, and please don't take any of this as a personal attack it is NOT, I appreciate you posts and info, but what follows is my RANT MODE ON, we are well past the "Your doing it wrong" stage, many other people outside of this forum experience the issue and come here looking for answers , just one good example is Bob of all trades he experienced the throttling and documented it well in his video review and he's no fool he knows his stuff .

To tell people that spent $3-$5K on a Gamming laptop not Overclock it and it will be fine is beyond condescending, the laptop ships with Custom Overclocking software highly advertised and hyped, to expect people not to try and overclock the GPU at least is not realistic.

There are many variables that may account for all the different story's we here, including experience level, different ambient temps, different software environment on each laptop, silicon lottery, manufacturing differences etc.

But honestly to tell people "your doing it wrong" just dial back your expectations ….. well I am sorry that's not going to fly with me :)

Rant mode OFF

5. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If I understand it correctly...

BIOS v1.5.0 and VBIOS v1.0.0.3 still lets you run unthrottled?

Are there any major downsides? Only 2400MHz ram and some panels (not all?) lose G-sync?

Lopt and Virale like this.
  6. jc_denton

jc_denton V̖̟en̰g̻̼̰̩͙ea̲n̪c̭e̼ ͍̘̤͓̟̤Is̙͔ ̤Mi̻̭̣͎͍ͅn̰ḙ

Reputations:
    It's quite temperature sensitive.

7. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    correct. and right now getting over 2400MHz on your RAM requires special hardware, a software flash, and most importantly a desktop computer that supports the function required to flash the memory to begin with so for a lot of people it isn't a realistic option right now.

IXVIXXII, Papusan and Lopt like this.
  8. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I run mine on 1.5.0, I have upgraded thermal interface materials, I UV the CPU -104.5 mV and OC and UV the GPU to 925 mV 1980 MHz. I have no quarrel with my system, and I don’t need help.

It’s a beast and I don’t have any issues with throttling BECAUSE I’m on 1.5.0 and I did work to get it manageable (all of the above, running max fans, etc.)

The indisputable fact is that I’m stuck on 1.5.0 because if I upgrade BIOS I’ll take a performance hit from the lowered throttle point on the 2080. Also, max temp is 87, not 83, and in this case “a temp difference of a few degrees will give you X to Y added performance” is just broken logic. If you hit the throttle point you’ll throttle, period. It won’t be a few % less performance.

Along those lines... I never use Prime95 or Furmark (artificial full load benching), nor do I use 3DMark (not a stress test, as you say, and doesn’t get temps to their max after heat saturation). I only play my games and bench my system against itself under the same circumstances in the same games.

All this talk about VRMs and +/- 20 W is PRECISELY why I gave them a 0. I can not recommend this PC to a friend because Dell decided to gimp it via software instead of manning up and keep the 2080 running full temp and clocks and 1. fixing those that burned, and 2. changing their components to make them function AS INTENDED AND ADVERTISED.

The fact that you respond and discuss your points above in the way you do is EXACTLY why I can not recommend this system, that is: will YOU recommend it? Yes (10) or No (0). The decision is binary.

It’s a NO.

Most people here have owned and built many PCs, the way this has been handled by Dell is cowardly.

Also, the vapor chamber comment in my rant to Dell was intended to point out there are still things that can be done to improve cooling. Vapor chamber heatsinks ARE better, I don’t care if it’s -1 degree or -10. They should have designed the thermal solution to be able to exhaust the heat the components generate.

9. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    On a somewhat related but slightly different note,

Is anyone here familiar with .json files ?

The reason I ask is that the i9-9900KS is supported on other Alienware models.

The AWCC software for those other models contains the AWCC profiles for the i9-9900KS.

I thought it might be as simple as renaming the profile for Area51m and including it in the profiles.zip that AWCC reads to setup the OC controls for CPU, however no luck.

So I am thinking there are referrals in the .json files to the other model and maybe that’s why it’s not working, just a wild guess.

Has anyone around here with a history of Alienware shenanigans been able to get / use not officially supported CPU’s to show up in AWCC ?

I know it’s junk and I would not even care if I didn’t need it for Fans.

Just a side project, if anyone has any experience in something like this?

Edit: ok I got of the lazy train and looked it up and looks like .json files are pretty human readable, does not look all that much harder than making websites in notepad.

I’ll take a better look when I get time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rei Fukai likes this.
  10. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I would recommend the system +20 (yes 2x10)!!!

There is nothing like it!

If you stick to stock with the latest bios/vbiso you should be relatively fine (on performance fan mode).
    If you want full overclocking potential then go full desktop mode and watercool the hell out of it. Then you GPU can reach over 2000Mhz constant and your CPU constant 5.3Ghz.

But this is not a "full" desktop! The fact they managed to put a full RTX 2080 and an i9 9900k inside a LAPTOP CHASSIS and get it working at recommended stock speeds - WITHOUT PROBLEMS (on latest BIOS & VBIOS) is truly spectacular and they are the fist to do it! Later Asus & MSI (but we know how those turned out).

However, if you want to overclock and push the system above what is stock, then you need to tweak it. (Reverting to older bioses that remove functionality like G-SYNC is not the way to go IMO).

In any case, leaving any frustration apart some people might experience, it's an awesome machine! Hats down!

Cheers,
    Helifax

S1ammin, Lopt and wsnors like this.