*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I bit the bullet and ordered a new 51M. Went the 9900K/RTX2080-route and ordered with 2x 256GB M.2-disks to get two M.2 heatsinks, and only 8GB RAM. I'm switching to a M.2 970 Plus 500GB / Intel 660P 2TB and 2x16 2666MHz RAM.

Dark Side Of The Moon, with 144 Hz screen and G-Sync.

Actually a bit thrilled for this. :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Lopt, pathfindercod and Fire Tiger like this.
  2. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I can say, welcome to the crippled team! *applause*

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Biker Gremling, c69k, Lopt and 2 others like this.
  3. Muyfa666

Reputations:
    Be as it may, I tried pretty much every other available gaming laptop, and 51M is still better in all aspects.

Terreos, Lopt, Virale and 2 others like this.
  4. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    you would probably be getting 2050 MHz avg clock speed , compare it to 1950 MHz at 77

it’s not worth at all the extra 100 MHz .

but you are right, you should be able to tweet your machine the way you want.

I could be very wrong, I think the heat sinks weren’t designed for that or VRM faulty. 77 is still low temp for GPUs nowadays to be frank

Fire Tiger likes this.
  5. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You prob should have opted for a clevo or waited for an R2 u gunna be downgrading the bios as soon as u get it, your gsync gonna be broken and Webcam non functional because of it, Tobii sucks, and if you choose not to downgrade bios well.. Your gpu going to throttle hard after 80c gg, I've had to open mine 10 times just to get the right thermal paste in here and thermal pads., and will be opening again soon to replace thermal paste again because heatsink is not flush with my gpu. This laptop is pretty much.... Bga trash. BUT I'm living with it and hoping they can fix the issues in r2.. I can't even get my 9900ks to run at 5ghz because bos doesn't officially support it :/ no plant to either.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

jclausius and c69k like this.
  6. Muyfa666

Reputations:
    Thanks for the pep talk bro... ;-)

7. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is a potentially new way to bypass the latest BIOS GPU limits by using HWInfo to control the fans and by using either GPU Tweak or AWCC to set a higher thermal limit. Which should mean the only restriction you'll have is the memory being limited to 2400mhz. You'll love it!

RMLJD, Spartan and pathfindercod like this.
  8. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    not all clevos chassis are good, P7 throttles like no tomorrow, the P8 performs very similar to area51m.

however, I agree with with the R2 model things might be better with an upgraded vapor chamber heat sink (designed for 10900k) the sad part is 10th series has been delayed. Can’t say the same for rtx 3.

It should be noted the P8 clevo is considerably more expernsive than area51m

RMLJD and pathfindercod like this.
  9. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The HWInfo workaround is going perfectly for me so far. Reflashed to the most recent BIOS and set up a fan profile via HWInfo as described on via @Silentfan 's link, and boom. Haven't encountered a thermal throttle yet with my temp limit set to 80. Lacking a real fan curve is jarring and has caused my idle temps to go up but I'll keep it this way for the time being. The price I pay for gsync.

Silentfan and Fire Tiger like this.
  10. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Big ask, but could you screenshot your exact settings in HWInfo in regards to the fan profiles, please? Would massively appreciate it.

Spartan likes this.