*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
    If you’re referring to Asus GPU Tweak II, it does NOT work on the AW51m.

If that’s not what you mean than sorry to have posted.

Silentfan and Fire Tiger like this.
  2. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why should we not be allowed to let it run wild to 87c (if thats our choice) like Clevo, MSI, Asus, Acer and every other manufacturer allows, if thats what we want?

You cannot and should not advertise this as the fastest and most upgradeable laptop when you are putting extremely restrictive limits on it in comparison to other manufacturers...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  3. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It has worked for me fine on the 1.7.3 BIOS admittedly setting it any higher than 78c does cause aggressive throttling.

Setting it at 78c allows it to throttle but down to 1700 (or there abouts) instead of 300mhz.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  4. Korben_Dallas

Korben_Dallas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone using two 970 Pro 1TB in raid0 configuration? Is it worth it compared to a single 970 Pro?

5. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

My impression is that these drives are so fast already that RAID gets you nothing, I run two 970 EVO PLUS 1TB drives in ACHI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. gr33n2

gr33n2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been running 2 x 1TB WD SN750s in RAID 0. Performance is mixed. A few things got slightly better, a few slightly worse, but overall the trend is that it's slightly slower by a negligible amount. Just using it this way as RAID 0 should, in theory, wear the drives evenly as opposed to using one heavily. Just a personal preference. I think we're capped out on the PCIe x4 connection if I'm not mistaken.

Lopt and Korben_Dallas like this.
  7. katalili

katalili Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I apologize if this mssg is redundant, I just want to share my experience with applying liquid metal (Conductonaut) on gpu and cpu. I removed the old paste using some cotton and alcohol, it took a while, especially when cleaning the heatsinks. I haven't delidded the cpu (9900K) and I didn't touch the stock thermal pads (I did remove the stock paste a couple of days after getting the laptop). The temp difference on the cpu is negligable in my case, let's say 3-5 °C with my current setup. On the gpu side, it did perform quite better than before, hitting 645 in octanebench for rtx gpus as opposed to the 630 it got prior. Before applying the LM the gpu would hit it's upper temp limit set by the AW CC, now that's not the case. Let's say the first hand benefit is the obvious noise reduction and some boost on the gpu end, as for the cpu, if I don't undervolt it with throttlestop, it hits 100 in cinebench (on the stock oc mode) so there is no visible benefit there. I was thinking of delidding it, but at the current time I just don't have the spare amopunt of time. Did anyone do it on the i9 9900K?

DreDre and lestat2k7 like this.
  8. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    I just bought one from dell outlet. I’m not int benching anymore. So my question is , the configuration I got , i7-9700K paired with RTX 2070 and 16GB 2666mhz Ram. Screen is 144hz , 256GB m.2 and 1TB hybrid hdd. Is this a good setup ?

I got it for $1600

GTVEVO likes this.
  9. Expje87

Expje87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The best config you can get if you don't want to hassle with thermal throttles and crippled bios firmware. I love my 9700k+2080 but i hate that i have to run older biosses to make full potential of it.

Lopt, Papusan and Rengsey R. H. Jr. like this.
  10. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I bit the bullet and ordered a new 51M. Went the 9900K/RTX2080-route and ordered with 2x 256GB M.2-disks to get two M.2 heatsinks, and only 8GB RAM. I'm switching to a M.2 970 Plus 500GB / Intel 660P 2TB and 2x16 2666MHz RAM.

Dark Side Of The Moon, with 144 Hz screen and G-Sync.

Actually a bit thrilled for this. :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Lopt, pathfindercod and Fire Tiger like this.