*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How much do you under clock your GPU ?

I’m not sure I like it as a solution unless it’s only temporary, why be happy with further gimping your system to cover Dell/Alienware missteps ?

At some point we are going to want to get MORE performance out of these expensive laptops as games become more demanding not less.

I can understand if your proposing a Temporary way to alleviate the annoying thermal throttle, but in no way should consumers be complacent about things like this.

It’s like expecting someone who bought a new Tesla and finds it wont really go 55mph
    And suggesting “ just ease off on the pedal” it goes 45mph just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    The solution is relatively easy, just open ACC select any overclocking profile, disable CPU overclocking, enable GPU overclocking set the maximum temperature to 77-78, set the Cuda frequency to 0, same for the GPU memory.

The reason why the new bios throttle down the GPU is I believe is single CPU heat pipe is routed to GPU heat sink, causing it to heat further when the CPU is under heavy loads, many faulty GPUs are reported back to Dell I suppose, this isnt a work around, this is the solution.

Dell could make per PC profile

https://imgur.com/a/1UfJeDU#e3aERtF
    AfterBurner Profile

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0ugzfsp6e46tipm/Profile4.cfg/file

Test this out and report back if you please.

3. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    We all do these things already. Fact is it should not be necessary and in most cases it isn't necessary. Many run 1.5.0 which alleviates the thermal throttle and opens complete freedom for whatever you want to do up to nvidia regulated TDP.

Many of us also run custom voltage curves to run at 1900-2000mhz at 900/950mV to control temperature without sacrificing performance.

I keep my thermal limit at 80C. Rarely hits that, but when it does I feel good knowing I didn't get my $3.5k machine turned in to a chrome book for 10 minutes as it panics and saves itself from relatively normal laptop operating temperatures.

Biker Gremling and devilhunter like this.
  4. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think I can disprove that theory, my system is 2080 but with I-9 9900KS which runs considerably cooler then the K version.

My CPU temps under stress are 86c typical max just day to day is 30c - 77c

But again all that may be cool for you, but I am not in the habit of spending a good chunk of money for something that is represented as being able to perform to certain specs and then finding out it’s all lies and that I actually need to further reduce the performance just to be able to use it for its intended purpose.

If I only wanted that level of performance I could have saved a lot of money and just got a MaxQ based system.

All of us here are very familiar with all the tricks you’ve mentioned so far.

No offense if your happy with gimping you’re system further and simply forgetting what Dell/Alienware said this system could do by all means carry on enjoy.

For me I think I will continue to bother them until they either fix it or I get tired of it and move on to a different system.

DreDre, VoodooChild, GTVEVO and 4 others like this.
  5. devilhunter

Reputations:
    How you got the KS ver on area51m?

6. devilhunter

Reputations:
    Im getting same results on the latest bios, I fully understand your case average plug in play doesnt know about the throttling and probably running an under performance machine, you just simply open ACC and select the profile.

One question, on your current bios, did you have to use Afterburner to increase the frequency?

7. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I ordered my system from HIDevolution and I guess they like me.

devilhunter likes this.
  8. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Don't necessarily have to use afterburner to increase frequencies but it is more efficient to just set the voltage and frequency curve at the same time. All I did was test for my maximum stable core clock at an unfettered voltage, then knocked max mV down to 900mV in the curve while setting the highest offset to 10 lower than my chip's best overclock potential. Have been using it this way for weeks now and it hasn't had a single problem yet.

Additional tip, I played around in task scheduler to ensure that msi afterburner and throttlestop load well after AWCC on startup since AWCC takes ages to set up for reasons that I'll never understand. This ensures that my throttlestop and afterburner settings are always applied over AWCC's default garbage, because otherwise these settings are disrupted when AWCC applies the OC profile for thermal limiting to 80C.

Theres probably a more elegant solution to setting a thermal limit but I haven't found it.

I also run my Cpu a bit warmer than most people probably find comfortable. Can hit the mid to high seventies when gaming but it fires at 4.9ghz on all cores.

Way I see it is, if I survive til the end of the year hopefully the laptop will too which will be long enough for me to replace it with a nice Ampere and Ryzen 4 based mini atx system if Dell doesnt change their ways. :^]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Biker Gremling likes this.
  9. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  10. Silentfan

Silentfan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You mean a time-delayed (e.g. one minute) start, right? This works for me. And you can set the AWCC-service from "Automatic-delayed" (or similar, I`m a german guy) to "Automatic", see screenshot. Maybe AWCC will start faster.
    Asus GPU Tool should work. I think I read it somewhere here. I haven't tested it.
    This is not a high temperature for a CPU, especially not in a notebook. Throttling begins at ~100 degrees, significantly later than with nvidia gpus (88 degrees for RTX2080). But my CPU mostly runs at around 60-65 degrees (gaming). Not because of the low temperature (I don`t care), but because the fan-control uses less RPMS so (1700/1700 and 2200/2000 in many games at the silent fan profile. With a high cpu temperature this profile uses 2500/2300 in every game). So, the fan control (maybe mainly) uses the temperature of the CPU. And I don't need a very high cpu-clock for 60 or 120 fps gaming (it makes almost no or little difference). But if you want (the most people I think) maximum frames per second (no cap or ingame-settings, that are too hard to keep the configured fps-cap stable) you should use the highest possible clock, yes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020