*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I know the Cpu and GPU is headed at the bottom vents.

But the GPU power delivery... Is sandwitched between MB and keyboard/palmrest. The more air the fans can get from the bottom, the worse airflow will come from the grills under the panel (meant to cool the black tiny GPU heatsink). And if done the opposite... If you covered most of the bottom holes the fans would take more of the air from the vents below the panel. Aka you would get more air around the black tiny GPU heatsink. The design.. It's about balancing the airflow.
    [​IMG]
    upload_2020-1-31_4-40-23.png

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Rei Fukai, Docsteel and c69k like this.
  2. S1ammin

S1ammin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That heatsink is actually visible by looking through the vents at the top-back of the laptop. It is not beneath the palm rests, unless I missed that when I did my re-paste.

I can tell you that cranking up my cooler lowers both the idle and load temps on my GPU, with the greater impact at load vs. idle. This cooler really does move a lot of air and has been very effective for me with this laptop.

3. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    we will see :) delivery tomorrow but i cant test it this Weekend ^^
    adapter.JPG

@Prema what Version of Thaiphoon burner is enough to edit the Jedec?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  4. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Catching up on the thread after a busy (and painful..) birthday week; the 1.8.1 throttle workaround is intriguing. Will try this later today and reflash 1.8.1. If I can have gsync and reasonable thermal limits then that solves my only complaint with the a51m.

(Other than being limited to a normal 2080 though fingers crossed for a 3070/3080 option in the future!)

Fire Tiger likes this.
  5. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You make a valid point. I have owned a lot of cooling pads over the years...probably much more then this single unit in cost.

And I agree about rewarding innovation.

Lopt and Fire Tiger like this.
  6. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Played destiny 2 and rage 2.

My gpu stays very cool but....my cpu is hitting 81%

Anyone with a 2070 hitting those temps on games?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  7. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    81 isnt anything to be alarmed about on the cpu..

8. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Most Area51m owners doesnt report figures only expressions (high - low temp, throttle etc), very few users reports graphs and table temps. Mine doesnt throttle at all and my avg GPU clock speed is 1920-1950 @ CPU 4.9ghz at games. However, if all CPU cache are all loaded to 100% then yes it throttles to 46 and thats it.

Applications Tested :

Blender, XTU stress , Cinebench ( temp actually goes 90s and throttle) only and if only all cache are loaded.

The key here is to find the right voltage values for your chips. Im going to make my own thread and I will post my monitor calibration settings, After burner profiles and throttle stop configuration.

Anyhow, Im not a dell defender, I feel sad for those who got faulty units, but the community should also be partially blamed for not providing an accurate feed back.

At last, I placed the order of my unit mid jan, its possible I got the latest rev vrm pads. Also, the paste is higher quality compared to the launch units, I replaced the paste with Gelid Extreme and didnt notice much of improvments.

It is also probable the new 3x series has a low Thermal generation or dell can actually supply it with an improved sink (possibly with vapor chamber or a new thing we dont know yet)

MogRules and sasman1964 like this.
  9. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That isn't the problem. The cpu is completely unaffected by this and everyone in here is more than capable of tuning their system for better thermals.

There's a bios level throttle that reduces your gpu to 500mhz once it reaches 75-78C on any bios beyond 1.5.0.

They all do it, only workaround was to downgrade the bios until this new hwinfo fan curve discovery. This had the downside of making gsync nonfunctional in newer a51m systems.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dont let it hit 78, set the max to 77, your GPU will throttle by 1 step if it reaches this temp.

In ACC, just make a profile, dont overclock it or any thing and then disable CPU overclocking and just set the thermal limit of GPU to 78 or 77.

Then proceed with Afterburner and clock your GPU.

I stress it with furmark, heaven, gaming you name it.it throttles heavily to protect the Vram. I used to have it in some games where the gpu throttles to laughable 800 mhz then I decided to undervolt and manage temperature offset in ACC.

Docsteel likes this.