*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So that cool bar is like a screwdriver without the handle?
    Just lifts the back off the surface?
    Hence air flow access to bottom fans increases?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  2. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Once you get it sorted you can send it to me and I will test its stability over the next few years if you like:p

3. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes. You could really just a round wooden bar is whatever, but then you’d lose bragging rights about your steel rod. ;-)

4. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Its $176!!!

Lopt likes this.
  5. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Simply raising your laptop just even on the back makes the biggest difference for most game laptops with air flowing in the bottom. Too many systems with the fan underneath can simply disrupt airflow into the units fans from what some folks say so depending on the laptop design they really hurt more than they help. I think most cooler-based fans are for cooling units with no underneath flow like a Macbook, XPS Duo type units, etc. Gaming laptops are engineered for flow but all seem to do better elevated slightly in the rear.

A problem which was artificially created to solve another core design issue isn't apt to get a fix after its been an issue for 3/4 of a year if Dell history is any guide in my experience...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2020
    Fire Tiger and c69k like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    With the Area-51 design... More air via the bottom means less air will flow over the power delivery (see.. the wimpy black heatspreader below keyboard/palmrest for GPU).

Rei Fukai likes this.
  7. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

My experience has been that a lot of people will gladly pay a small amount $20-30 multiple times on cheaply made things hoping to find a gem, but will balk at spending a few hundred for something cleaver and well designed.
    My guess is there will not be a lot of these made, maybe only a small test batch to see if they sell while the Area51m heat problems are a hot topic ( pun intended ), and then they will be gone.

I actually think its worth the price, they designed it well built it out of good materials and even took the time to make it smart with circuitry and wrote software for it that works at least as well as AWCC, PLUS even if you don't like the software of their fan profiles you can still use it manually and set your own fan profiles and just plug it in when your doing something intense like CyberPunk 2077 :)

The rest of the time it's a great laptop stand looks better then anything else out there and matches my Area51m.

I don't mind one bit supporting a business that makes cleaver useful things, I want to encourage them to keep making things.

With the way it's going we will all be ready to replace these Area51m's by the time they fix anything LOL, oh well can't win them all it's still much better then what I had before and since I can't have a desktop in the tiny place I live right now it's one of the best I could have gotten, ….. seriously going to be looking for something that runs Prema MOD BIOS for my next adventure though that's for sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2020
    RMLJD, S1ammin and Virale like this.
  8. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Same

9. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    This makes no sense to me - the temps on CPU/GPU are better with the back raised.... do you mean forced via a cooler?

10. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    I know the Cpu and GPU is headed at the bottom vents.

But the GPU power delivery... Is sandwitched between MB and keyboard/palmrest. The more air the fans can get from the bottom, the worse airflow will come from the grills under the panel (meant to cool the black tiny GPU heatsink). And if done the opposite... If you covered most of the bottom holes the fans would take more of the air from the vents below the panel. Aka you would get more air around the black tiny GPU heatsink. The design.. It's about balancing the airflow.
    [​IMG]
    upload_2020-1-31_4-40-23.png

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Rei Fukai, Docsteel and c69k like this.