*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can 100% confirm that external Gsync works fine with 1.5.0 and there's no reason that it wouldn't (if there was still any confusion over this). My Acer X34P works perfectly fine.

Can say that internal is broken for me though. Initially when I thought it wasn't there must've been some wires being crossed at a software level because after reinstalling new nvidia drivers I am getting the black screen problem. A shame but I'll sacrifice mobile gsync for getting rid of the awful throttle limit.

Docsteel and Fire Tiger like this.
  2. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do you have the Chi Mei panel? Maybe the Dell driver on their site might bring it back for you?

If you can confirm you have the Chi Mei then I am 100% going to roll back this week.

Dbentt likes this.
  3. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm not sure but I guess so. I bought mine in late November and from what others have said I have a Chi Mei panel. Not gonna install dell's driver cause it's outdated. Will live without gsync and hope in vain that Dell eventually makes a new bios with a more reasonable throttle limit.

Until then 1.5.0 is worth it for me even without getting to use my internal screen's gsync.

BTW I don't get the black screen problem on the internal screen if I have my external screen connected despite gsync being enabled globally. I'll have to do more extensive testing on this.

Lopt and Fire Tiger like this.
  4. Fire Tiger

Reputations:
    Please do mate, I personally would really appreciate it.

From the testing done 1.5.0 seems like the sweet spot BIOS, I just don't really want to lose G-Sync, so if its a distinct possibility then I may as well go for it.

I've never rolled back the BIOS before and I'm apprehensive about doing so in case I mess it up as the process seems ok but I know myself too well.

Lopt likes this.
  5. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Pretty sure you will see that Gsync on the newer panel doesn't work with 1.5.0 but does work with an external monitor. I have considered downgrading to 1.5.0, but I love Gsync and using a 2070, so I don't hit throttling, but if I did do it, I would be sure to coordinate that with a VBIOS that was out with the 1.50, not sure if it might matter or not.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  6. Fire Tiger

Reputations:
    EDIT: Just re-read @Dbentt post and I confirm I've completely misread it. I think this confirms G-Sync doesn't work on 1.5.0 if you have athe Chi Mei panel. Sorry.

7. Korben_Dallas

Korben_Dallas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    in my case I noticed less fluctuations in the benchmark scores with a few more degrees

c69k and Fire Tiger like this.
  8. Fire Tiger

Reputations:
    I assume for gaming and the likes there was little to no difference or were they similar to the Becnmarks?

9. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don’t be worried too much about rolling back the BIOS
    I’ve gone back and forth between 1.5.0 & 1.8.1 Three times now.

It’s an easy process.

3 things to keep in mind:

1. The reboot after the BIOS downgrade is nerve racking the first time, because it reboots multiple times and really looks like it’s stuck in a loop.

Just be expecting it, don’t touch it and it will be fine.

2. For flashing Insert USB only in the LEFT USB, Leave the USB alone until it’s all over and it’s rebooted back into windows, then eject. Set aside and save this USB if your anything like me you will use it several times.

3. AND if there is a danger point in BIOS flashing it’s that you absolutely don’t want to lose power while it’s being flashed.

REMEMBER that the Area51m will completely lose power if you lose it at the wall ( unlike every other laptop I have ever owned ) it will not simply switch to battery, it will shut down same thing if you have both power adapter plugged in and a game running and think you can unplug one power adapter? Nope it will shut down.

I read someone explain it as a bad design decision but had something to do with the way they channel the power from the two PSU’s

Long story short if you wanted to be really as safe as you could you could plug the PSU’s into a battery backup then you could not lose wall power and DON’T TOUCH THE PSU’S during flash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A curve that works on one Area51m may not work on another, ( I have my theory’s as to why but I’m not an engineer).

You have to put in the time to test your machine and you may or may not find one that works for you.

Very broadly several of us here have had success simply OC GPU core anywhere from + 60 to + 130 ( mine is pretty stable at +130 for everything except Control which will work at +60 )

I spent many hours trying to replicate this in a curve, I was unsuccessful, I can make the curves no problem but to it seemed that FAN response was delayed using a curve , now maybe my curves would be fine if I wanted to run FANS at performance or full all the time I played intensive games, but there’s just no reason for this the FANS should respond better and ramp up and down sooner then they do the FAN curve or whatever AW has setup on the Area51m is not correct.

The so called “manual” FAN curves controls in AWCC are the most finicky frustrating thing I’ve seen in a while and I could not get them to work even as well as the barely functional AUTO.

It’s as if Dell Alienware had AWCC and all its settings done by the cheapest person they could find on FIVERR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2020
    Virale and Fire Tiger like this.
  10. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wait, there's a way to set a manual fan curve?