*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    hmmm... possible.

2. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Now I just did some more tests and I was unable to replicate your 1935mhz at 900v using a curve here / mine would not even complete a Superposition bench with that curve CTD /

I am completely willing to admit I may be doing something wrong with my curve on this machine / but I did my own curve on my previous laptop a Predator Helios 300 and that worked great as far as I could tell.

I reset everything and re enabled AWCC and set it up for +60 OC on the GPU 0 for Memory 78c for temp / Superposition does complete with good numbers max MHz was 1965 - ave 1365 and temps stayed at 74c / I did not observe any throttle or halting or glitch's, / more importantly to me anyway Control also runs with High settings which is max with RTX everything enabled which some machines are reporting having trouble with RTX debris / so I *might* have a new good setting here / I think I will sit on it for a while and see, This is BIOS 1.8.1 180w VBIOS.

Same results as me …. I really think Dell is cherry picking only certain build that turn out to be Capable of running higher speeds their mainboard supplier may be giving them a wide range of tolerances, but they have to by them all to get a certain price point.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2020
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  3. lestat2k7

lestat2k7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So Evoc is the most poweful laptop available right now? Who makes it Clevo? I didn't see that before in reviews only gt76 and 51m.

4. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

A curve that DOES work sort of that I tried last week on my Area51 was to start at 968v and 1900 - 1950 MHz …. the biggest reason I am NOT using a curve on this laptop is I got much higher temps using theoretically the same offset +130 in a handmade curve then I did just setting the core clock to +130 … the FAN response was much worse using a curve at least here, but every curve I tried ( and I tried quite a few going up from 968v in 10 - 20 v increments ) got me less MHz and less stability then simply upping the core clock, there *may* be a tolerance difference between all our GPU's as well / I am inclined to think Dell / Alienware cuts corners everywhere they can in manufacture and parts sourcing / just to be able to afford all that advertising and HUGE support apparatus they have ( not that they get their moneys worth from that support investment IMO )

I am certain that @gr33n2 has a profile that is working fine for him, just because I can not replicate it does not mean anything, each machine can have very different response to changes in voltage and timings due to paste / pads / what has been installed and uninstalled, what's left in registry and just manufacturing tolerances ( which I am coming to believe are none to tight on Dell / Alienware products ).

It certainly got my vote in Bob's review, I don't out and out HATE the Area51m I just wish they had spent the time and money to make it live up to all the hype.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2020
    Fire Tiger and lestat2k7 like this.
  5. gr33n2

gr33n2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I find the values I apply aren't always the values that stick either. For example, I just can NOT get it to work at 2000MHz. If I set to 2000, it'll drop to 1995. If I set to 2001, it bumps up to 2005. Make sure that the card is running at what you expect it to - sometimes when it jumps up a few MHz, it's enough to cause it to fail. I've also had some clocks that won't pass, say, Time Spy, but excel in Fire Strike, and have had zero issues in usage when gaming as well, so don't worry too much about what benchmarks say as long its running stable in whatever you're playing.

You might want to try dropping to exactly 1900MHz @ 900mV, and see if that works for you. I doubt the extra 35MHz will make a noticeable difference. I find the line between "works perfectly" and "utterly fails" is very fine.

First off, I'm not overclocking my CPU at all, but I do have a -125mV undervolt using throttle stop on stock clocks. It does get up to about 99 on a single core (looks like I have bad solder under the IHS, one core is always noticeably hotter than the rest). I have found that, when necessary, setting all cores to 47x (even single) significantly reduces heat by anywhere from 5-20 degrees. I'm not sure how often an given core was boosting to 5GHz, but 4.7 all cores gives me outstanding thermal headroom. All my testing done earlier was stock clocks with the undervolt though, did not downclock the CPU at all.

As far as the GPU goes, it really depends on demand in what you're playing. I have a few profiles saved in Afterburner, depending on how much demand the game has. I'd start first by finding what your GPU immediately boosts to, and and setting it at a lower voltage. I believe 1.043V is the max this GPU will draw (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but Afterburner shows that as being 1935MHz. So you can drop the curve down, and set a lower voltage, say 900 or 950mV, to 1935, then hit apply. Make sure as mentioned above that it actually sticks to that. There seem to be a few ranges where it'll either jump up a few MHz, or jump down a few MHz. Past that, it's trial and error.

Oh, and in regards to flattening out the curve past your voltage set point.... just hold shift and grab any part of the curve to drag the ENTIRE curve below the clock speed you want to target. Then, when you raise up your ideal voltage to your ideal clock speed, everything beyond that automatically becomes a flat line.

Current clocks I'm running are 1950MHz @ 900mV (which actually applies as 1965MHz) and 2025MHz @ 950mV (which applies as 2010MHz)

I give up. I broke this post some how. Let me know if something got lost.

Fire Tiger and Biker Gremling like this.
  6. lestat2k7

lestat2k7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I also don't understand how it was able to keep the FPS even with a single adapter. How does that work? Either AW spend more time on where EVOC succeeds or EVOC spend some time in design because it looks very ugly but I know it's a powerhouse. Just that there is no reason to be only one :)

For me dream laptop would be power of EVOC, 1000 nits micro led 4K display (like in the new msi creator 17), design of AW, and ideally titan v, or rtx titan. Ignoring the last request this shouldnt be hard right?

7. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Sorry for the late response, bad weekend so far.

This was during normal gaming, benchmarks very rarely get my GPU up to the 'critical' temperature point. Generally speaking I only hit thermal limits (forced or otherwise) after prolonged gaming; I'm assuming as the heatsink assembly becomes saturated and the fans cant blow off enough of the heat fast enough. But I'm no engineer so that's just conjecture.

In any case my laptop was basically unusable until I rolled back.

8. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Control is very sensitive to overclocks. i was getting the same missing device errors randomly with a high GPU overclock too. a quick google search showed me it was a common problem with that game and not Alienware specific. i was still able to run a slight overclock with that game with no issues, but many people said to turn off your overclock completely with that game. interesting that you had different results from using averburner and AWCC though. it's obviously not a AWCC specific problem since people with other brand computers had the same device error problems with overclocks on message boards for the Control game.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Lopt likes this.
  9. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
    Funny story I’ll share here. I couldn’t have been more excited to test a laptop like I was on the 51m. I got to it straight away and spent more time with it over the other two. Everything about it made sense until I started using it.

Some till me that mine was faulty but I see others with similar results. The wattage the CPU gets is ludicrous and so is the GPU temp limit.

Sure it can be tweaked and its bios flashed back but there comes a certain level of expectation when paying this much for a laptop and I don’t fell like it delivered. I’d still rock a 9700k 2070 model if it were me but that’s about the limit I could recommend unless you’re content with tuning, sacrificing Gsync and/or play titles that put less stress on the system.

It looks awesome!

FXi, GTVEVO, c69k and 3 others like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    This is nothing new. Last year we saw the same happened with the XPS line.
    [​IMG]
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-15-9570-owners-thread.817008/page-248#post-10890814

And I expect the RMA numbers wasn't high enough to deserve the same treatment for the thin... Dell let the Nvidia graphics run nice and friendly at 95C in the much thinner m17 models... https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/castk2/overheating_alienware_m17_laptop/
    upload_2020-1-19_8-45-26.png

Edit.
    Read also my and TS author @unclewebb 's posts in ThrottleStop thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-1089#post-10984434

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Rei Fukai, jclausius and RMLJD like this.