*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if you have the Unigine Heaven benchmark, run that on the Extreme setting you should see the throttling... I assume that's what you are trying to replicate?

2. gr33n2

gr33n2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yep, that was the one I tested on earlier.

I do notice I'm getting significantly more power throttling than I did on 1.5.0, but no thermal throttling best I can tell. But I still can't get the thing to go over 76 degrees. Am I doing something wrong here? Balanced fan profile too.

Attached Files:

3. gr33n2

Reputations:
    It's been running for over 15 minutes now, and I've peaked at 78 degrees. Not saying it isn't an issue, but if this is as bad as it's gonna get, I can live with this.
    Still interested to see if it does throttle with AWCC set to 87. Gonna run some CPU benchmarks on the side and see if I can't push it over 79.

Attached Files:

Fire Tiger likes this.
  4. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok so rolled back to BIOS 1.8.1 and 180w VBIOS , confirmed I'm running latest versions of AWCC and AWOC, RAM is measured at 2400, and no way to change it BIOS is locked down as always no access to CPU or RAM timings. AWCC still does not allow any control of the i9-9900KS even using the Version in just supplied by @Prema unfortunately.

I have controls for GPU in AWCC but of course using them results in strange behavior, one game in particular Control which works fine with Afterburner set at +100 core GPU clock CTD's with missing device errors when OC'ing with AWCC.

If I set GPU Core clock and memory to "0" and Temp limit to 78c in AWCC Control runs fine again and GPU temps stay at 74c ( this is on Balanced thermal and Performance Power in AWCC )

GPU MHz top out in the high 1800's vs high 1900's with Afterburner but of course temps are better and games seem to run fine, have not done any marathons with it setup this way but maybe I will leave it for a day or so and see.

So Basically at stock if your happy with a Ford Taurus engine in a Porsche body … its ok I guess.

This is the FIRST Alienware I have ever bought, and honestly it will probably be the last, it's too bad really people like me that are willing to spend the kind of money I spent on this are not around every corner I would think, and it could have been great with a little more effort on Alienwares part.

But in the end I probably would be happier with something like that Evoc Bob reviewed as ugly as it looks like its a lot more fun to tinker with, this thing is just finicky they way they have gimped it no tinkerability at all, you want to just get it working best you can and then not touch it again, and even then your grumpy about it.

No no more AlienWares for me.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  5. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree with this 100%. All if my jokes aside the EVOC seems to have little real weakness besides aesthetics...and I think looks are overblown for laptops like these any way.

Of course I had $500 plus in dell credit to spend (and a free graphics accelerater to future proof a bit more)and have the 2070 so I'm still satisfied with the 51M for what I paid out of pocket. But its not what was advertised for sure especially with the 2080 folks.

I have had s lot of luck with dell over the years...but I sure dont understand how this was!!/is being handled.

If I was purchasing just OOP...I would go a different way.

Docsteel and Fire Tiger like this.
  6. gr33n2

Reputations:
    So what exactly is the disappointment? If you're having issues with overclocking it, I'd really suggest you get the voltage curve figured out with MSI. I'm amazed at how much voltage is supplied to these cards. Running Heaven right now, leaving the settings stock, I'm boosting to high 1800s (1875, just dropped to 1830 now), at 1034+ mV, while rapidly gaining heat (It's likely to thermal throttle any minute)
    Using the voltage curve, I can get the card running steady at 1935MHz at 900mV. Temperature peaked at 71, and might have hit 72 given some time, but it was fluctuating anywhere from 67 to 71 degrees. This is all on the balanced fan profile.

I'm going to guess that the thermal throttling at 79 degrees is a bug that needs to be properly explained and demonstrated to Dell for it to be fixed. GPU-Z was reporting the card of having a temperature limit 87 when I set it to that in AWCC, but it still throttled at 79 which makes me think it's the BIOS. Whether or not that's intended is a different story, but I'd like to think it's not.

Of course, you can always roll back to 1.5.0 if that worked better for you. While you can't do an official rollback, there are instructions on how to force it. Again, the inability to rollback is something I think might be a bug, as Umar had previously said on Twitter that it was done for users who didn't want the throttling.

Docsteel and Fire Tiger like this.
  7. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Yup ben there done that, lol I've been here a while, I only went back to stock today to determine if MY A51 would magically start running my RAM at 2666 as SOME people seem to have achieved, it doesn't … so when I get tired of running gimped in the high 1800's ( or I experience some hard throttle ) I will roll back to 1.5.0 again which I have been running for a while now, I *might* play around with the 200w VBIOS again this time trying your UnderVolting the GPU idea, but my gut tells me it's 6 of one half dozen of the other, I'm not convinced that's really any better then the 1995mhz at 180W with Afterburner at +100 core clock I have been running, but I may try it to see.

My uneducated suspicion about the RAM issue is that Dell/Alienware may be "cherry picking" systems which pass the test during bulk system builds for online sales, my gut tells me they run an unrestricted BIOS during build and test, and the ones that pass are marked for higher RAM speed dialed in then the locked down BIOS is installed prior to sale, you can have the pricier higher RAM config for a price :) but we sure won't let you play around in there yourself.

I suspect they build laptops like they build CPU's and "BIN" the over performers to help recoup the cost of the failures.

8. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do you have any hints, tips or guides I can follow to apply to my GPU what you have done to yours? I was on Far Cry 5 for about 10 mins tonight, with performance fans and Phobya Nanogrease on both GPU and CPU and I was hitting 79c and becoming thermally throttled. If you can help me set a curve/undervol then I might be able to reduce some of this heat.

9. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have you made curves in Afterburner before? If not take a quick look at the Undervolting guide that @Biker Gremling made it has pix! Basically CTRL F with Afterburner in focus / go along the bottom graph to 900v then go straight up from there to the pixel in your "existing" curve click it then you drag it and or use up dn arrow to position it at 1935MHz line as read on the left / then do the same for all the rest of the blocks to the RIGHT of that 900v where you started creating a FLAT LINE all the way to 1100v you can stop there that's as high as the card can go. then back in main afterburner screen click the big checkmark to APPLY your new curve / you should now see CURVE where it would normally show the CORE voltage number to the right of the slider.

Test away with your favorite benchmarks and games / if you have to high utilization and or temps back it off / low temps and underutilization you can bump up little bit and retest.

At least that's how I understand it , fell free to correct me if I am getting it wrong.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Biker Gremling and Fire Tiger like this.
  10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I only have two sticks and tried this with 1.8.1 before going back to 1.5.0

There were no options and i tried two sets of RAM sticks.

Prema and Lopt like this.