*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does anyone have a video of the RTX2080 throttling down due to the limit? I need it to pass on to Alienware. Trying to get something done about this and the engineering team wants a video of it happening.

EDIT: NM , found one.

Docsteel, Lopt, GTVEVO and 1 other person like this.
  2. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for pushing this. I'm sure @Biker Gremling had a video on here if it helps, also once @B0B review goes up that'll help prove its an issue in comparison to other similar specced laptops. That bad publicity on a popular YT channel might help with pushing them to fix it.

3. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It says documentation was last updated Jan 5, 2020. Looks like 2933MHz memory only now up to 32GB. But the big question now is does this apply to pre-existing models?

https://www.dell.com/support/manual...7064b8-2eb4-49ec-88a8-43b102e42417&lang=en-us

nader_rizk2003, Lopt and Fire Tiger like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    If Dell don't fix the Gpu temp trip point gimping in bios this means you are locked out screwed from using faster sticks if you prefer the old working firmware. Aka the choice between Pest and Cholera.

And it seems Dell went the same way as MSI Jokebooks. The motherboard can't handle faster sticks if all 4 slots is filled up... Everything is up to the MB quality.
    upload_2020-1-17_21-58-22.png

FXi, jclausius, Rei Fukai and 2 others like this.
  5. GTVEVO

GTVEVO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is the type of behavior that we have experienced in our past. I really hope they fix it but from past experiences I am not confident they will with the original temp or power delivery limits. That sucks to read. EBay will be flooded.

FXi, jclausius, Virale and 1 other person like this.
  6. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Fffffaaaacccckkkk... of course this is what will happen. They’ll enable XMP in BIOS with a big hot pile of throttling still there since BIOS 1.5.4.

Sad!

Papusan likes this.
  7. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    That all being said I think the majority of A51M R1 owners will be happy enough with the systems at least on 2070 level. 2666+ memory is fine, but its not necessary and only buys at max 5% frames. That being said, they ought to have simply replaced motherboards with revised boards that fail when they fail instead of a proactive gimping measure.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    jclausius, Papusan and Lopt like this.
  8. GTVEVO

GTVEVO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think the majority of people purchased a laptop that was marketed as "Upgrade-able" will be severely disappointed in the fact that its not even worth upgrading due to the downgrading they have done through the software. Again they pulled the sleight of hand on the new generation of customers.

In the end if you are happy thats all that really matters, for that kind of money I just couldn't be. My opinion is not gold I am just grumpy with all these vendors :) at their price point.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    FXi, jclausius, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  9. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Interestingly (almost certainly incorrect) in a chat session they told me the current motherboards support the 2933 memory, and the motherboard is the same rev....

10. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As far as I remember all the original documents and promotional ads showed 2666mhz, never any more than that. I suspect somethings in the pipeline or someone has messed up somewhere and this documentation was meant for R2.

Virale likes this.