*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. xMAXIMUSx

xMAXIMUSx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sometimes alienwares operations to create the usb recovery disk times out and is a pain in the ass. last time i used it i had to retry for hours before i got it to work.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

2. Tim V.

Tim V. Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I remember the size of the USB stick had to be much larger than recommended. Think I ended up using a 32GB stick before it worked.

3. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe I used a new 64GB USB and did reformat it ( I think it makes you reformat )

It took a while and I ejected it after, then rebooted into recovery.

No problem that I can recall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. nuestra

nuestra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    when you need more power for 1000 Euro in area 51m with 9900k buy amplifier. With 2080ti in alienware amplifier we score 32 000 on stock and 34- 38000 gpu Points in fire strike. Or on stock over 8000 Point i port royal. What are your oc Points at port royal ?

5. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I did just open it to repaste the gpu this weekend. I'll have to do a double check to see if that might be it..though I would think it would all work or not work if that was the case. Also getting to the keyboard requires dismantling like the entire laptop after looking through the service manual so what I did shouldn't of had any effect on that portion.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  6. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In racing there is a term called "sleeper car" it means that the outside of the car looks rubbish but the insides (engine, drivetrain, chassis etc) are all modified up to a point which it smokes everyone it races against. Clevos are the sleepers cars of the IT world. It's all about function not form. Making the Clevo look better won't improve it's performance.

Dell has to make the 51m look nice as it is marketed to people which are not neccesarily enthusiasts. Clevo does not use marketing as the people that want performance know where to get it (just like why ferrari, lamborghini or any other high end brand does not advertise their products).

jclausius likes this.
  7. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Alright let's get back on topic here, enough of the clevo vs AW stuff, neither side is going to change the other's mind.

IXVIXXII, MogRules, RMLJD and 3 others like this.
  8. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Agreed - when you select a product, for folks usually there is some overriding factor and frankly it is purely subjective to the individual. Some value quality of build, others performance, while others it may be design. In cars I value reliability first, then style second, and a decent price, therefore I am pretty much wed to Toyota currently. On the laptop front, style matters, but so does relative performance but most importantly, _support in my home and on the road_ which Dell still does, they get my pick as you can be assured that most laptops will have at least one service event during their useful lifetime as they are notoriously unreliable. I could go the XPS route, but the designs are just "meh". Elon Musk values design for instance, and aesthetics matter in satisfaction as well, there is no reason to decry it. I assure you if Clevo's weren't "bland" but outright ugly some of their buyers would look elsewhere.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Lopt, Biker Gremling and Fire Tiger like this.
  9. warcobra

warcobra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So a little off topic but I was taking mine apart to repaste and decided to pull the 9900k out real quick. So the reason I pulled it was I have a desktop system that's waiting for parts so I decided to try the 9900k in it and put an AIO on it and give it a try OCing it. Well, I am blown away. I am able to get to 5.2ghz 1.32v. I have now since played all sorts of games and run benchmarks. Rock-solid no crash or corruption going on. I ran some stress tests as well and it peaked at 78c on a 360mm AIO. I almost want to leave it in the desktop and get another. But them I go back to thinking the lower voltage and dropping clocks make my laptop be able to control the heat more. But now I know that my 9900k is a pretty good chip. I just thought I would share the story as well as ask if anyone else has tried to see if they got a pretty good chip in their laptop.

c69k and Lopt like this.
  10. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you really want to forget about CPU heat in the Area 51m get the i-9-9900KS
    that’s what I have 5.0 all cores using throttlestop and my CPU temps are nice, normal gaming sessions in the 60’s , benchmarks hit 70’s and if I really stress it I’ve seen 81.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fire Tiger likes this.