*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    THATS the spirit! XD

Rei Fukai likes this.
  2. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Me. :)
    Gpu, cpu, ram, etc sure I upgrade those like crazy. ((I might have an upgrade problem :oops:)) But, monitors? I keep them for as long as they last. I have an Acer Predator x34 as my main monitor and still have the Dell monitor as a secondary monitor. And too be honest I’m not getting rid of either until they break. To me you can get a lot of miles out of them if you take care of them. Hence why I caution people from overclocking none gamer monitors. So I’d say just spend the extra cash and get a high refresh monitor or display and enjoy.

FXi and Fire Tiger like this.
  3. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Funny - I have the AW3418DW which is "over-clockable" to 120... from 100. I have mine set to 120, but the panel tops at 118. I read a lot of debate on this - is it something I should worry about? The consensus was that the unit was guaranteed to 100, but something up to 120 was likely within operating life time.... what do you think in that particular case?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Terreos likes this.
  4. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    I think yours is likely more robust than my ol ultra sharp. Since yours is a gaming model I suspect it is a much more suited for overclocking. Mine was not a gaming display so it wasn’t designed to go past 60hz. Which is why I assume it failed so quickly. Soooo it’s more of a “I experienced this so learn from my mistake” mentality. Besides how much of a difference can you notice from 100hz to 120hz?

And is your monitor overclockable via the monitor itself? My Predator is technically overclocked to 100hz by the controls on the monitor itself. My dell monitor that failed was overclocked by using the Nvidia customer resolution software. So that might play a big part in why it failed. That and it was before 144hz and up displays. If memory serves me right anyway.

Docsteel likes this.
  5. Docsteel

Reputations:
    Yes - Dell builds in settings to take it from 100 Hz in increments of 5 Hz up to 120. You set the threshold, then you get what you can, in my case I hit 118 Hz. Kind of my thinking, they expect you to "OC" it. One person suspected that the 120 Hz "OC" was due to the fact they couldn't guarantee it due to bandwidth limitations, so 100 to 120 was an easy out. As for noticing, its very noticeable actually from 100 to 120, I was surprised. I can tell a bit of a difference though less so from 120 on the AW3418DW to the 144 Hz panel in the AW51M I have.

Terreos likes this.
  6. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    That’s very similar to how my Predator works. Starts at 75 hz and can go to 100 hz. Mine goes to 100 hz and runs just fine. The YouTuber BitWit I believe his review sample only went to 90hz. So I think that was a testing phase since no one could guarantee high refresh rates on high resolution displays. But with 4K 120k panels out now I think they’re making good head way with it.

Now when I had my Area 51m I did not notice much of a difference between it’s 144hz and my desktop 100hz screen. Seemed pretty interchangeable to me. But I play slower paced adventure type games. No twitch shooters for me. But my brother has a 240hz laptop and I was messing with that one day and I did notice once I went back to my setup. Which is surprising to me. And it kinda ruined 60hz for me. So with laptops getting 300hz screens soon I’ll be a happy camper. Plus at that point overclocking a display would be pointless. ;)

Docsteel likes this.
  7. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i'm running the same ultrawide monitor overclocked at 120 with my A51m for the last year with no issues. the monitor overclock is a factory option in the monitor menu. it's not something you have to hack it to do, so i'm not worried about it.

to answer your question from a few pages back i'm on bios 1.8.1 with the 180w vbios with a 9900k 2080 config. i don't notice any throttling and have good temps in AAA games as long as my GPU thermal limit is set to 78 in AWCC in my overclocks. so i'm fine with it. just played through Control with all ray tracing options on except ray tracing debris with all settings on ultra. no noticeable frame rate drops the whole time i was playing the game on those settings. obviously if you jack the GPU thermal limit above the bios thermal limit you get the hard throttle with that bios though.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Docsteel likes this.
  8. Docsteel

Reputations:
    Right - its only an issue with fast-paced FPS - I just cannot go back to 60 Hz now, its like you're playing drunk or something... very odd experience now. Adventure games, no problem as you mentioned.

Terreos likes this.
  9. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Also yes. o_O:confused:

I do hope this means lower priced high FPS monitors soon. Since laptops are definitely making high refresh rate standard for gaming PCs.

10. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I’ve ordered a unit 10 days ago, I believe I’ve made a terrible mistake not waiting for 10900k and upgraded gpu. I thought these parts can’t be assembled in a laptop shell.

But again with the newer cpu and gpu, the price would reach 5k easily

got mine maxed out for 3300$

FXi and Fire Tiger like this.