*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. raybies

raybies Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've given up, even tried changing the registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Defaults\3FingerGestures]
    "PlugInID4"="Syntp"
    "ActionID4"=dword:00000011

Action 4 seems to be middle click, well at least it is in the 2Finger options and then just replacing all "3FingerTapAction" values w/ a 4 and ensure all 3FingerGestures has an ActionID4, but still the crap opens Cortana.

This is just my OCD trying to get a new build perfect, w/ no Errors in the event log, customized to my preference and performing optimally.

Lopt likes this.
  2. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think that’s confirmed my theory that the laptop configuration simply can’t move enough air to cool these GPU’s, I think we’ve hit a wall until either graphics card manufacturers learn how to build cooler powerful GPU’s or some whiz kid comes up with a different more efficient way to cool laptop components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super job !

On a side note the Christmas lights and multiple reboots after the BIOS flash really keeps you on the edge of your seat doesn’t it :) I thought for sure I was in deep trouble after about 3 reboots. Man was I relieved when it was over.

Well with Windows the way it is these days that’s a serious chore:)

One day you’ll boot up and it may work perfectly all of the sudden, I blame stray Neutrinos changing bits in memory.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2020
    FXi and Fire Tiger like this.
  3. lsramair

lsramair Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Whoa! Def more interested in this. Couldn't find the auction on EBay.

Can you elaborate at all further or point me in a direction please?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  4. Alex4seby

Alex4seby Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  5. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Many thanks for your details ;)

Do you think I'll notice some improvements in temperatures by going from 200w vBios to 180w ? (I'll just by curiosity anyway :D... for science !!! :D)

Fire Tiger likes this.
  6. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    So on a day to day basis.... for the folks with a 2080, are you just mainly downgrading the BIOS/VBIOS and living without Gsync, or are people settling on a middle ground with a later VBIOS say the 180 watt with 1.5.0 BIOS? If you ran on the highest levels, are people just routinely running into throttling, or is the power drop to 150 watt so much that you rarely hit the thermal limit with even demanding games/applications? Bit hard to tell what is the common experience with all the varying posts on the question currently.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  7. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
    I’ve only used the AW with its 180w and it can’t hack it. This is with LM too.

Lopt and xMAXIMUSx like this.
  8. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I never left the 180w vBIOS on mine, but I did try going back down to 1.5.0 and then back to 1.7.1 at the time and I saw very little difference performance wise. I lost about 300 points on Firestrike but the temps were slightly higher on the GPU. I have not yet seen the crippling GPU throttling and my GPU sits at 74c most of the time.

EDIT: Apparently I was tired, I should have type I have always left the 180w VBios on mine.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Lopt and Fire Tiger like this.
  9. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Might I ask, what games do you tend to play - is this throttling only affect folks running things like Witcher, Read Dead Redemption 2, etc?

10. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for this, will give it a watch later and may gove it a go.

I'm currently on BIOS 1.7.3 and the 180w vBIOS, I play Far Cry 5, BF5 and Football Manager 20 at the min, with the 1st two games mentioned HWInfo64 shows the GPU has throttled but I genuinely don't notice much during the game, baring in mind I'm new to pc gaming so likely missing something you more experienced guys would see.

FXi and Docsteel like this.