*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I’m still on 1.3.2 an vbios 190watt bought the laptop in feb 19 and it’s served me well 2080 an 9700k. I have bought a further 1 from the outlet to compare the screens and in my view the lg Phillips 144hrtz is best, no light bleed, the auo panel off the outlet while it had very slightly better blacks, the colours didn’t look as good (vibrant) and it had minor light bleed so kept with my original. I’ve been very happy with it. I would only upgrade in 2020 if they upgraded the screen to qhd ips or possibly 4k panel.

S.K, Virale and Fire Tiger like this.
  2. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Didn’t hurt to peg my ask in this thread hahaha:

[​IMG]

3. Virale

Reputations:
    I’m on 1.5.0. 200W VBIOS. Champ performance! No issues ever. 1st adopter. My only sin is the white chassis color. Shoulda gone black.

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Live and learn. I would have chosen black from the get-go because it looks better to me. But, I get it. I think most people wanted white because it wasn't black and they wanted something special. Black is to laptops today what putty color used to be to all PC peripherals... super-ordinary.

White looks fantastic when it is brand new and pristine. Unfortunately, that only lasts a short time no matter how careful you try to be. It shows every blemish and stains easily. White is best reserved for kitchen appliances and cars that people drive in hot desert climates. (The dirt and dust in those places is usually white as well.) It's also good for wedding dresses, but I'm not sure how often the meaning behind the white dress is accurate for the person wearing it.

5. Virale

Reputations:
    I have literally ALWAYS purchased black things, in everything. This just looked so cool and stormtrooper-like, that I went for it. Heck it even was $50 more wtf!

I believed Azor when he spoke of the quality of the finishes. Totally misled. I should have trusted myself and my experience. Never again going for white. POS finish IMO, regardless of what it is on... car, dress, phone, computer, watch, anything white SUCKS because it’ll look like crap sooner or later. Fastest to look dirty, stain, or just plain yellow out when exposed to Sun/UV light or humidity.

Fire Tiger, DreDre and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I love black for everything except cars. Black and white are the same for cars to the extent that they are absolutely gorgeous when they are new or freshly repainted. The first time you run a black car through a car wash or drive it through a dust storm or blizzard it never looks quite as awesome again. You'd have to make it matte or flat black for it not to show (even magnify) everything wrong. White (and silver) colored cars are actually better at hiding blemishes, but I think that's probably one of the only places white is effective at hiding blemishes. And, that only applies in sunlight. You can see all the blemishes on a cloudy day, under shade or artificial lighting.

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Terreos and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Awesam

Awesam Newbie

Reputations:
  9. RajivBedi

RajivBedi Newbie

Reputations:
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  10. Awesam

Awesam Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your feedback! This is an Australian purchaser. On the Dell website in Aus we wouldn’t be getting the GTX 2080 for that price lol

Fire Tiger likes this.