*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    That is simply unforgiveable.... what kind of people are putting these together? I mean its not rocket science to count how many pads go into position on a critical component, and the average Chinese factory worker is not an idiot.

2. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    That looks and sounds like a video driver or maybe even a mouse driver issue. It sounds like you have reinstalled drivers, but did you clean them out first? Also, this is a problem that AW support, horrid as it can be at times, might be able to address.

3. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    They’re pretty nasty and rude from my experience. I got an x360 spectre a couple years back and it was taking forever to ship to me. I checked bestbuy and they had the same model so I asked them if I could cancel the order. I got a “You can’t cancel an order three weeks after you order it!” Type response. At least they refunded me quickly after I sent the one I bought from them since I went with the bestbuy one.

4. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    after the 1.8.1 bios and latest command center version update a while back i have been having one issue with lighting. since bios and command center updates were the same day i didn't notice which of the two changes started the issue.

i use an all red lighting theme, but on restart or wake up after the rainbow wave the keyboard on the laptop stays on default blue until i open command center and click on any tab. then it jumps back to my all red profile like it should be (the macro keys and alien head stay red during it, it's just the main keayboard keys). i have tried uninstalling and re installing all alienware command center, oc controls, alienware fx components, ect... to no change. all other lighting follows my all red profile on wake up with no issues even the external alienware keyboard. it's odd that opening command center and clicking any random tab makes the laptop keyboard realize it is supposed to be red.

anyone else run into that?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  5. TheExplorer

TheExplorer Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm considering buy one Area 51M but to know if it can suits me I would need a little help, thus the laptop would be connected almost all the time to the plug I would need a laptop that let me have good battery for unique ocassions, and I know by default this laptop has a terrible battery life, but I was wondering if for example in a 9900K config, you disable 6 cores and underclock the two remaining to around 2-2.5Ghz (+undervolting to further gain energy) disable the dedicated GPU in favor of the integrated GPU (or if the last is not possible reduce the dedicated GPU power target to minimum and heavily underclock it) could all of this give to the laptop a good battery life for example around 6 hours, obviously a reconfiguration like this is not something like you do daily but for special ocassions like you need the battery life for a light (but extended) office and browsing session, or to watch something on a trip this would be awesome, obviously you will using like a 10% of the full potential, but sometimes you only and really need the battery life.

Do you think that this could be doable and successful?

6. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Another day, several more posts about how much better brand "X" is .
    Just in case we are keeping track...

Sigh.

Lets make a new thread titled "Clevo/omen/razor/acer/ROG/apple/Atari400/superfamcom/ballyastrocade/SinclairZK/IBMPCJr/colecoADAM/Newton is better then 51M" and move these posts there. Then I won't have to dig though useless posts to find the useful info...or help someone with a legitimate question...

Just my humble suggestion.

DreDre, Pezzza, Tim V. and 1 other person like this.
  7. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Who in their right mind thinks Razer is better than Alienware? I want names!

8. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can't disable any cores in this thing. Bios is locked af

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Papusan likes this.
  9. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hang here long enough. Someone will post that a casio watch will be more powerful.

Or at least has better thermals.

Can't really argue with that.

Pezzza, Terreos and Fire Tiger like this.
  10. TheExplorer

TheExplorer Newbie

Reputations:
    Hmm, I didn't know how limited was the BIOS, but if you use msconfig to disable the cores on Windows, that would improve the battery life?, because in the end that option tell the computer to not use the cores, what I don't know is if in this laptop if Windows doesn't use 6 cores the CPU will shut them down until are in use, or it leave them on, but with 0% load that would consume more energy, but will be an improve after all, and well maybe other feasible approach to dramatically increase the battery could be downclock all 8 cores to like 1Ghz or so