*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. nader_rizk2003

nader_rizk2003 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I bought a Wiwu 17" sleeve, takes a bit if stretching but does a job. I use it just to protect the laptop when putting it into a drawer etc.

3. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Another 2 hours of reach. Cpu max was 77 and average was 58.

GPU was max 50 average of 44.

2070 and 9700K

FR between 100 and 144

I have been olaying with cans and without. Sound is surprisingly good (for a laptop) could have a tad more base but not bad

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  4. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had one crash playing outer worlds. Do not think its related, last two weeks I have been gaming a lot...with only that one crash

5. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Help....Some how my GPU 2080 has turned off and not showing in the Device manager or Alienware Command centre?
    I have all Windows updates and Alienware updates.

Yet when I click on Support Assist it says I need 1.8.1 bios update and some nvidia drivers?
    Click install results in 4 squares circling and nothing happening?

Did I press a button on the FN part of keyboard to stop GPU running?

Edit: Some PCi controller driver 1901 had corrupted and has "!" on it....I auto updated it(2016 driver?) and the 2080 appeared in device manager but not in Alienware Command centre initially until reboot and now all normal?
    You cant overclock the GPU in Alienware Command centre right?

Going to try this sleeve in Dark blue:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/202783623840

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    DreDre and Fire Tiger like this.
  6. InfectedSonic

InfectedSonic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  7. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Check for any issues in the device manager, there are 2 entries that need updating, I'm searching to see if I can find the exact names just now. Found it... give the below a shot....

jc_denton likes this.
  8. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    On the throttling issue - I have 2 questions:

1) is it strictly a thermal restriction currently so at 78' C any CPU+GPU combo will throttle?

2) 78' seems terribly Draconian and far under what the design suggests it should handle, did Dell give any reason for such a low number? I would have guessed 90'... but 78'..... sheesh! (and yes I'm aware of the burning latops earlier this year in the first batch).

9. Tim V.

Tim V. Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Games not crashing but did notice performance issue in one game and had to lower game graphics settings to eliminate. Also turned on my machine this morning to complete battery discharge after being off for a day and a half. The battery is in good condition, now charged and holding. I did not change anything besides the BIOS update to 1.8.1.

10. PDUB72

PDUB72 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Since you brought it up, this is my opportunity to go on record. I've had mine for about a month and I noticed the battery drains about 8-10% in about 24 hours or less in the OFF state. I've already done everything suggested on the internet and finally called Dell tech support. We were on the phone for hours until they finally decided to send out a tech to replace the battery.

Now, it's still doing the same thing, but this "new" battery shows 85k fully charged capacity out of the designed 90k MWh. I put in another service request, but still waiting for the email. I suspect I'll have to just call, again.

Anyway, this occurred with the previous (1.7.3) BIOS as well as the current. I even use the shutdown /s command and have the shortcut on my desktop in addition to having no USB plugged in and waiting several minutes before closing the lid, etc. etc. etc.

Anyone else notice the battery drain that much while completely shut down? I can't be the only one, right?

Mr. Fox and Tim V. like this.