*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yeah, sorry about that. But, it's great that you alerted everyone to the thread @maoshen1234 started. Thank you.

Nicolas Paiva likes this.
  2. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Aaaah I see. That makes a lot of sense. Are the chi mei panels really any different otherwise? Mostly curious if the quality is any worse or not?

Might be smart to just stick with the non g-sync version for future buyers then. If you can get it to run at over 100 FPS then you likely wouldn’t miss g-sync too much. Not so sure I’d have faith in Dell fixing everything with a bios update.

3. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
    Reach can do 60 or unlimited in the settings. I’m not impressed with the GPU saturation however. The 2070 does 100+FPS nowhere close to 99% gpu usage with fluctuations all over.

It looks sharp with all things considered and a definite improvement over the 360 version.

4. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Guy's, we need to read those posts from Alienware not for what we want to hear, but for what they are not saying. They are carefully saying yadda, yadda, yadda, trying to give hope, or to just get you to go away for a while, but nowhere is there any kind of a commitment.

The Alienware Area-51M is what it is. It is a great system...with flaws. They all have flaws. You can either enjoy it for what it is, or be frustrated by what it is not...your choice.

The refresh next year will be what it will be...which is hopefully better.

DreDre, ssj92, RMLJD and 5 others like this.
  5. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    We are not worthy of your wisdom and wise council Donald.

Papusan, RMLJD and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. RazielCrow190

RazielCrow190 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Crap, knew I should have gone commodore instead, so much cooler! Didn’t know about the imax audio, is it full 3d speakerless surround sound?

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Remember when Dell’s engineers removed possibility to use 2x330w for AW18 ? One of the reason for this...
    Alienware M18xR2 Fire Hazards
    [​IMG]

Area-51M
    upload_2019-12-7_1-16-51.png

In short... Dell capped the balls on the successor branded AW18 (this model is known for blowed out power delivery). Many of the Alienwares have struggled with weak power delivery components. Not only the Area. Will we see the same this time as well ... See restrictions on max power draw or added too low temp limits on comimg models because of what they learned from R1? Or the move to AW18?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Rei Fukai, jc_denton and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    This is what happens when companies cut corners to save a few bucks. They don't charge any less for this, but they scramble to castrate things to help cut their losses that result from poor planning. Firmware is the cheapest and easiest path to gimping to offset the fallout resulting from engineering defects. Would have been better for everyone to do it right the first time, even if you had to pay an extra $20.00 to cover the extra $2.00 it would have cost them to build it right to begin with.

Rei Fukai, DreDre, jc_denton and 2 others like this.
  9. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah my apologies too, I've taken it out of context, sorry.

Hopefully the AAA of 2020 run as well as I hope they will, as mentioned we can use a G-Sync external and have BIOS 1.5.0 if we really want the best performance.

10. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations: