*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    So what actually is this issue with g-sync and throttling? Not sure I’ve heard of such a thing before.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  2. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Its a stupid m/b BIOS and vBIOS problem created by Dell due to a flaw with the heat on the 2080 cooling as I understand it. Still not clear _why_ this creates a conflict with gsync, but it is what it is.

Terreos likes this.
  3. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you own a newer A51m with a Chi Mei (eyesafe) panel, you can downgrade to BIOS 1.5.0, however, in doing so you will lose the G-Sync option. This is because the Chi Mei panel didn't exist when BIOS 1.5.0 was released and therefore doesn't have the configurations such as G-Sync for it.

So what I meant is that in future if games make the laptop run hotter then we'll need to choose whether we want to keep G-Sync and have throttling or lose G-Sync by downgrading to 1.5.0 to allow the GPU to stretch its legs more before it thermal throttles.

Hope this makes sense.

DreDre, Terreos and Biker Gremling like this.
  4. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why would you do this ...did u not know that CLEVO or "insert any other brand" is soooomuch better . helll even a base acer "or any other brand"runs 1000000x3 better benchmark scores, runs 500% cooler and comes with imax quality surround sound.

Plus Dell is the only company in history that promises things (like 5000hz mem) and never delivers.

I can prove it...my commodore 64 runs MUCH cooler and its 35 years old. Alienware has disgraced themselves by only delivering "the tied for 1st" fastest laptop ever...

Now excuse me. I have to tell xboxpro owners how much better the playstation 3 was...

Oh....good purchase. I love mine.

5. RMLJD

Reputations:
    Not neccesarily. I guess it depends on what is an acceptable frame rate. We could lower the graphic settings a bit..

Anyone else played halo reach yet? I forgot how great it was. But more importantly running very cool with a 2070.

I think it's locked at 60 fps though

Fire Tiger likes this.
  6. Silverfeyn

Silverfeyn Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have downgraded from 1.8.1 to 1.5.0 200w .
    I lose G-sync on laptop screen but I play mostly with a external G Sync monitor so... I will stay like this waiting for a new BIOS for the moment

Enviado desde mi MIX 2S mediante Tapatalk

Fire Tiger likes this.
  7. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why should we have to lower our settings? Its a 2080 which should be able to handle the latest AAA games without throttling at 75c, much lower than the Nvidia specification?

I'm not slating the laptop I love it, its just facts? We will lose G-Sync by downgrading or face throttling at anything over 75c on the latest BIOS revisions?

I think thats probably the best setup and likely how I'll go next year.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2019
    Biker Gremling and Silverfeyn like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah. A timeflaps of bro Silverfeyn and bios 1.5.0:D
    upload_2019-12-6_22-22-35.png

9. Silverfeyn

Silverfeyn Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Probably hahaha, but I Will keep my Hope

Enviado desde mi MIX 2S mediante Tapatalk

Papusan likes this.
  10. RMLJD

Reputations:
    I agree, and did not mean to come off like a cak...But im also ok with AW errering on the side of caution with thermals. It would absolutly be better if they had a fix, but its pretty clear they are being (overly) cautious

Im pretty sure we will be able to game AAA titles with great frame rates. Its not like we are pushing 4k screens...( yes thats meant as a deprecating joke). Remember its me ..90% of my post are dry humor ..

Fire Tiger, Terreos and Papusan like this.