*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think the update they told you about is the R2 version. Not much hope for the R1 A51m.

Enviado desde mi GM1913 mediante Tapatalk

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I know what it means. Something like this. :vbwink:
    Salty.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  3. giltee

giltee Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A few months ago I posted a question here about adding a new SSD to my system. The advice was to just plug it in and it should be recognized. I just got a Samsung 860 EVO 4TB and did just that. And Windows only recognizes it as a 111 MB drive, and Samsung Magician only recognizes it as a Samsung 850 EVO (also just 111 MB) instead of an 860. I saw that there was an option in Magician to update the firmware, so I did that, and it didn't fix anything.

Have I borked this drive now by (I guess?) installing an 850 EVO firmware on it? Does anyone know how I can get it working properly recognized and working in my system?

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Test it in another machine or plug it in an usb box to see if it will change.

DreDre likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    For some weird reason that we may never know, it may have a 111MB partition on it.

Did you already run a "clean" operation with diskpart on it? If not, try that, then initialize the disk by opening the Windows Disk Management utility and create a new partition.

Before doing anything, open Windows Disk Management and look at the drive. Do you see a 111MB partition with a lot of unallocated space? If so, do what I suggested above (diskpart clean).

upload_2019-12-4_22-47-13.png

DreDre, Biker Gremling and Papusan like this.
  6. giltee

giltee Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks both. I did do a clean on it. Initialize wasn't an option (I mean, it never showed up for me as a menu option in Disk Management), but I had done a format on it. In all cases, including in Disk Management, it showed up as a 111 MB partition with another 111 MB unallocated. Deleting it and trying again only yielded an option to again format it as 111 MB.

I'm going to do a replacement with Amazon and see if it happens with the new one (should have it by Friday or Monday). If it does, I might just have Samsung tech support (or Alienware tech support?) walk me through the software side of the installation.

Almost everything I turned up online was for cases of replacing a drive (i.e., requiring some lengthy backup-creation/migration process) or adding a boot drive—I don't want to do anything superfluous; I just want to add this as an additional storage/non-boot drive and leave my NVMe's as the boot drive.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. firedragon247

firedragon247 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it possible you have a fake SSD? Did you buy directly from Amazon or through a market place seller?

8. lsramair

lsramair Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Your concerns are valid and common, but it my case it works out... here are some reasons why:

- I do not always need the GPU performance, but I always need the cpu performance. With the AGA I am offloading all the GPU heat and power draw, letting the CPU more easily stretch its legs, while remaining less audible.
    - The GPU in the AGA is not limited by Dell's unfortunate see-saw of vBIOSes and throttle temperature caps and wattage reductions... it just runs flat out at whatever spec 2080+ you decide to buy and put in. I do a lot of VR with a Oculus Rift S and big throttling dips are killer to the experience... can make you feel sick quickly.
    - I am unable to spend what it costs for the 2080/9900k model as a single purchase, but I can spend enough for the lower spec, and then buy the other items separately. In the end yes it is more expensive... but it is a matter of "single item max pricing" that I am dealing with. #CapitalPurchases
    - I like the USB ports on the AGA so i can connect a few less cables each time I plug in. The basic devices I use with them don't steal any noticeable bandwidth.
    - Even though it is only PCIe x4, it has the bandwidth needed for a 2080 (and even higher end) it seems according to the AGA owners thread and their experiences there. Since I use external monitors with it, there is no "send-the-display-back-to-the-laptop-panel" bandwidth lost.

...More I think... its a fun accessory!

Another user just stated that getting the 9700k and the 2070 gets the best cooling hardware. I can't confirm the CPU portion, but on HID's site it says that 2060 and below have the smaller sinks. They also allow you to buy the heatsink upgrade for lower hardware builds... THAT may be my ticket right there! :)

RMLJD, _deadbydawn_ and EepoSaurus like this.
  9. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Really to me the price is prohibitive but as you stated you want less upfront cost and not total cost. It seems by that standard you should do what makes you comfortable.

I will ask though. Why not purchase a 9980hk equipped m15r2 or m17r2 with a 2060? Cpu performance can be decent if you properly cool the cpu. I only ask because it seems you would be better served by a less powerful laptop with an AGA option or a desktop. The a51m is not very mobile in my opinion and can be upgraded likely to the 3000 series when it comes out. It is self enclosed. I understand you worry about throttling but my 2080 doesn't throttle at any temp on 1.5.0 bios and so on.

To each their own mind you. I don't have a dog in the fight. I personally am super wasteful. I own an a51m an m15r2 and a 1080 ti fully watercooled desktop.

DreDre and pathfindercod like this.
  10. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry, but it ain't gonna happen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mr. Fox, Fire Tiger and EepoSaurus like this.