*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    No this is good. I appreciate the time and thought put into the answer. I do have the AGA as well, and it is very useful when you need that extra push or just want to keep temps down for one reason or another.

I will say the clincher argument is that the individual components can be repaired or replaced; there is still a lot to be said for this even today. The keyboard is great, the screen is decent enough (later panel at least) and its flexible across roles (gaming, productivity, etc). The socket change is the worst, but considering even a lowly 9700K is ... 8 cores, I think its liveable lol.

Dumb question possibly: is the issue of loss of GPU clocks due to thermal throttling only affecting 9900K +2080 GPU Area 51Ms? So far in searches I am not seeing anyone with a 2070, 2060, etc reporting this...

2. Speedy Gonzalez

Speedy Gonzalez Xtreme Notebook Speeder!

Reputations:
    Just ordered an Area 51m from the outlet with the help of my friend Quad comes with the i9 9900 non k variant and 2070 my question it's there any throttling on this kind of configuration ?

I am very familiar with liquid metal and delidding but I hope there's no need for lapping the die lol anyhow it's been like 5 years since i posted here I see there's still some familiar faces around.

jclausius and pathfindercod like this.
  3. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What mods did you do?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

4. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    this had actually been suggested here weeks ago for people who didn't want to downgrade from 1.7.3. i have been running my GPU overclock with a 78 temp limit ever since then with no issues. it's no different on 1.8.1 than it was on 1.7.3. i actually mentioned it again a few pages back for someone else who didn't want to downgrade from 1.7.3 because their G-sync. i'm not one to care about running benchmarks, but game performance on games like Metro Exodus on ultra settings with Ray Tracing on high have been great with the 78 deg gpu limit. i've been running 150 core and 200 clock with no issues (180vbios). without the 78 deg temp limit i was getting the frame drops.

Biker Gremling likes this.
  5. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mine gets like 83c

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

6. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Welcome back, love the 51m.. Youll have fun

Speedy Gonzalez likes this.
  7. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @ssj92
    I agree 100%. Some can get great performance out of the 9900k in the area51m. But the majority will be disappointed because it runs hot and throttles. I've owned alot of laptops and the a51m has the best all around package. It seems to me they should be able to come up with something better than traditional heatsinks for laptops. Let's hope the r2 has some magic heatsink that can be transplanted into the r1.

pathfindercod likes this.
  8. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    So far I haven't had any throttling with an i7-9700K at 5.1 Ghz with the 2070 in the unit I picked up in any 3dMark stress tests yet, its helpd to like 98.1 or better frame rate consistency.... does the i9-9900 run hotter than the i7-9700k?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  9. Speedy Gonzalez

Speedy Gonzalez Xtreme Notebook Speeder!

Reputations:
    Thanks good to hear I'm gonna do the usual testing and if it's too hot probably just repaste GPU and CPU

Thanks I can't wait to get it

10. lostclusters

lostclusters Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I may have exaggerated that a bit. Cut that measurement in half.